To the waters and the wild

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mjrippe said:
Duck too has a lot of rich, delicious fat.  I had the duck confit at a French restaurant here in Brooklyn and was honestly a bit nauseous by the end because it was so rich. 
Many people don't eat the skin of duck confit in order to avoid getting fat or having heart diseases; IMO they're not living the full experience. I scrape the skin and put aside the fat. A lot of the taste and fluffiness is in the skin. The skin must be well roasted, crispy in fact, so the fat comes off easily.

If you ever go to a restaurant that serves potatoes fried in duck fat (fries, chips, whatever you like to call them) I would recommend trying them!
They're called ""pommes sarladaises" from the town of Sarlat from which they originate. Massive carbohydrates!

From what Ive been told Duck seems to be quite expensive in the USA , supermarket maybe $ 30 for a whole one , restaurant prices a lot higher .
Ireland has quite a lot of duck farms so prices are reasonable , 5 euros might get you two cooked confit duckleg/thighs , for me the best part , 25-30 minutes in a small round steel dish with a good splash of extra oil added , you get the crispy skin and the meat is very tender.
If you have plenty of veg on the side I find 1 leg/thigh section  enough , as was mentioned previously it is a rich meat , having said that girthy folk might eat two in a sitting easy. Two breast fillets might cost around 7-8euros , I will sear them skin side down in a hot pan then transfer to a hot oven skin side up , 20 minutes plus or minus depending on if  you like it still pink in the middle or not . The breast fillet does have a thick layer of subcutaneous fat , some of that will render out during the cooking though. Definately deserves a good robust red wine to accompany it .

Pink please!

You guys make me hungry  :p

I didn't know about "pommes sarladaises", so thx for that tidbit, Abbey. They are delicious.

Supermarkets over here all sell duck breast, but no legs or whole duck. You need to to a real poulier for those.

I used to love Alexandre Dumas writing about food in the d'Artagnan Romances. I remember one feast which featured capon. I was living in Australia at the time and I had to have capon. I could not, the practice was banned in Australia. I still have not had capon. I think they might have eaten one each (the musketeers that is). I am sure the gros gourmand himself, monsieur Dumas could have eaten one.

I have only had foie gras the one time, as a seared piece of liver, not a pâté. I thought it was very good. However, I've always preferred game meat terrines to liver-based pâté. A delicious terrine en croûte I had about 30 years ago was the start of it all.

I love that old favourite canard a l'orange. The sauce takes a bit of work but is well worth it. A lot of really good sauces take a bit of work (have a look through Larousse Gastronomique some time - the work required for some traditional sauces is extraordinary, not to mention the ingredients). I think the recommended method of cooking the duck for the dish is the semi rare (hot and fast) method of roasting, which I find is only really suitable for farmed birds. I like to slow cook duck in a cast iron pot on a sort of mirepoix and then give it a hot flash at the end. I use the juices in the pot to complement the stock made from the wing tips and neck, all of which is reduced, strained and added to the orange juice/zest/vinegar/wine reduction.

As you head through spring in the northern hemisphere we are heading through Autumn here. I think a cassoulet is on the menu soon. I wish I still had some Bandol left. It is a little too cool in New Zealand to produce Mourvèdre.

Although living in the country allows me to indulge in cooking French-style country cuisine (particularly game recipes), I miss things like Chinese style BBQ duck which you really need a China town type district for.

PS Tubetec - the Dahl book was Danny the Champion of the World.

john12ax7 said:
I don't see how foie gras is considered acceptable in a modern civilized society.
It all depends where you put the limit between acceptable and not acceptable.  There are people who think eating animalss is not acceptable, some wouldn't even eat eggs because there is life in them.
Many things are unacceptable  in that regard, like eating live animals.
Raw oysters...

Squeaky said:
I used to love Alexandre Dumas writing about food in the d'Artagnan Romances. I remember one feast which featured capon. I was living in Australia at the time and I had to have capon. I could not, the practice was banned in Australia. I still have not had capon. I think they might have eaten one each (the musketeers that is). I am sure the gros gourmand himself, monsieur Dumas could have eaten one.
At the time it may have been quite possible. However today, capon must be at least 3kg (6.6lb); eating one is a risky endeavour.
Capon is a traditional Xmas dish. I'm not a fan. I'd rather have coq au vin or guinea fowl.

I have only had foie gras the one time, as a seared piece of liver, not a pâté.
That's what foie gras is about, it's not a päté. Indeed there is pâté with foie gras, but the foie gras in it is overcooked. Real foie gras should be "mi-cuit" (half-cooked).

I thought it was very good.
You bet!

abbey road d enfer said:
It all depends where you put the limit between acceptable and not acceptable.  There are people who think eating animalss is not acceptable, some wouldn't even eat eggs because there is life in them.
Many things are unacceptable  in that regard, like eating live animals.
Raw oysters...

I agree.  And would say most current practices are unacceptable. Human treatment of other humans could definitely use some improvement as well.

cyrano said:
Supermarkets over here all sell duck breast, but no legs or whole duck. You need to to a real poulier for those.
Intermarché has this (1st item)
https://www.intermarche.com/rechercheproduits/05992/rayon/1219/canard
Actually the Intermarché in my area has duck legs, wings and breast. My fave is wings. Takes a looong time to cook, though.

Last century while visiting china on business I was served duck feet, probably to gross out the westerner.  ::)

It pretty much worked but I sampled enough to confirm that I was not a fan (I seem to recall tiny bones inside the feet).

JR

PS: Speaking of fat, last week I slow cooked chicken and bought the cheap $0.99/pound bone in, skin on thighs (did I mention I'm cheap?)..... After slow cooking overnight it was easy to remove and discard the bones, skin , and loose fat. There was so much gravy/juice it over-filled my fat separator requiring two passes to separate it all, but I was able to extract a large amount of liquid fat from the gravy. They like to pump up poultry with salt water to increase weight at sale so lots of gravy left (I cook brown rice in the gravy after the fat is extracted).  I did not do a precise measurement but I would not be surprised if 33% of the original purchase weight, ended up in the garbage.

JohnRoberts said:
Last century will visiting china on business I was served duck feet, probably to gross out the westerner.  ::)

It pretty much worked but I sampled enough to confirm that I was not a fan (I seem to recall tiny bones inside the feet).
I had duck feet in NYC once. definitely an acquired taste, not for me...

They like to pump up poultry with salt water to increase weight at sale
Supposed to be forbidden in Europe...

abbey road d enfer said:

You have to take into account that the Chinese know what famine is, so they'll eat anything. I've had duck- and chicken feet, but it's not something I crave for.

I'll try anything, if it's meant to be eaten.

The only thing I didn't try are these Korean sea worms. They only come up one night in a year, to mate, the they die. The Koreans scoop them out of the water and eat them raw. It's a slimy, almost transparent mass.

Then there's the Innkeeper's worm [Urechis caupo]. I only saw that in a fish shop. It looks and behaves a lot like a human penis. Never came across those in a restaurant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySyuWHRyWcA

I draw the line at eating live animals, so, no oysters for me, unless steamed or grilled.

abbey road d enfer said:

Adding water isn't forbidden. Adding DNA is. Industrial chicken treatment plants used to add bovine and/or pork DNA to keep the water in the chicken. The DNA had been chemically altered so it couldn't be distinguished from other animal DNA. Muslims in Holland made a big thing out of it, so the EU outlawed it, fortunately. In some cases, up to a third of the chicken breast's weight was that water/DNA solution.

So now the shrinking chicken is a thing of the past.

Ive seen those injecting machines for plumping up meat alright , its the robotic equivalent of Freddie Krugers hand with hypodermic needles  :D

abbey road d enfer said:
+1
Decades ago when I used to throw parties at my house (with live bands), one food that I would serve guests was what I called "tipsy chicken". I would marinate chicken in (cheap) beer overnight and back then the chicken would absorb a lot of liquid. Later when cooked on the barbecue, it was almost impossible to burn the chicken and it was unusually tender.

Now, chicken comes from the store pre-loaded.  There is no point marinating it anymore because it doesn't absorb much liquid anymore. I noticed this change decades ago. This is one of those secrets in plain sight, they claim to not do it on the package labels, but the chicken does not lie. After slow cooking a few pounds overnight the amount of liquid released overfills my fat separator.

I just did a search and reportedly as much as 20% of the weight is from added salt water.... Sounds like a profit center for chicken sellers getting paid chicken prices for salt water.

JR

cyrano said:
You have to take into account that the Chinese know what famine is, so they'll eat anything.
I understand that; however, what came out of necessity has turned into a treat for some.

I'll try anything, if it's meant to be eaten.
I tend to do the same. When I go abroad, I want to try as much specialties as possible. I had some strange seafood in Singapore and HK, but it was cooked. Never had dog nor cat, at least knowingly. I had snake, crocodile and lion in Africa, and of course 'gator when I'm in Louisiana. Also love goat; I used to have it in NYC but last time I was there they didn't have any.

The only thing I didn't try are these Korean sea worms. They only come up one night in a year, to mate, the they die. The Koreans scoop them out of the water and eat them raw. It's a slimy, almost transparent mass.

Then there's the Innkeeper's worm [Urechis caupo]. I only saw that in a fish shop. It looks and behaves a lot like a human *****.
I must admit I'm not too tempted. Nor am I by less exotic seafood such as urchins (tried them, didn't like) or sea cucumber.

I draw the line at eating live animals, so, no oysters for me, unless steamed or grilled.
I guess each one their own line of separation. Oysters are the only animals I eat alive, and you wouldn't see me eating live insects, as Amazonians do. It's almost certainly cultural.

Adding water isn't forbidden.
That's correct. I thought it had been forbidden, after several scandals, but it turns out the Brussels administration, in their infinite wisdom, have limited  the amount and frown wickedly at those who trespass.

At least, the Brussels administration has turned the market into two groups:

- one group that creates impossibly low priced chicken breasts*
- one group that sells whole, unadulterated chicken

A whole chicken in our local supermarket (part of the Colruyt group) sells at 2,89€ per kg. How in heaven's name is that possible, considering that these chickens are 8 months old and have been well fed? It's even pretty decent chicken, locally bred.

There's even cheaper, frozen. If you buy frozen wings, fi in 20 kg bags, you'll pay around 1€ per kg.

Hec, if I need a real "soup chicken" (mature chicken) to make chicken broth and/or "Vol au vent", I'll pay more. And if I want a mature rooster for "Coq au vin", I need to go to the poulier and it'll cost me next to 9€ per kg.

*AFAICT, only chicken breasts are being pumped up this way, as that is where the profit is. Whole chicken never was adulterated in this fashion, as it looks really unhealthy, unappetising and nobody would buy it. What's left of the chicken after breasts and drumsticks have been cut off, is considered leftover in the sector. It's turned into chicken minced meat, including the skin.

If we want meat that's bred in a humane fashion, chicken would be at least 20€ per kg.

Latest posts

Back