Too cheap to work

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one blurb from a 65" Hisense ROKU...weird I just saw it...

The connector labeled HDMI (ARC) or HDMI IN (ARC) has the additional ability to use
the audio return channel to send digital audio to a receiver or sound bar, as explained
in Connecting an AV receiver or digital sound bar
https://assets.hisense-usa.com/assets/ProductDownloads/202/c8c9a74079/Roku-User-Manual.pdf
The ONN model I own (manufactured by Hisense AFAIK) doesn't have all those features, despite having Roku built in..

I even confirmed that the onboard Roku software has a current up to date software download. The limitations I am experiencing may be related to firmware.

My frustration is from the fact that using the SPDIF toslink digital audio feed from my direct TV receiver delivers excellent surround sound. Using the SPDIF/toslink feed from the ONN monitor only delivers stereo, no surround.

I have experimented with trying to extract dolby surround from either of the two ONN HDMI outputs with no luck.

===

At this point I am reluctant to buy another flat screen monitor when this one has a decent picture. AND who knows if the next one will work as advertised unless I pay up 2x or 3x for a top line brand.

My next experiment is to purchase an outboard Roku Streaming player and feed it into the ONN flat screen HDMI input. I have two different HDMI gadgets that claim to extract 5.1 dolby.

JR

ONN 65" POS (piece of shit). They only have one 65" model,,, the price has dropped a bunch over last couple years.

In the course of researching this I have heard multiple ONN owners complain about digital audio output.
It's unclear what models have what (the other dolby options are on selected models only) but in the manual it mentions this faux surround that seems to be common ... but I'm guessing you read this already....

DTS TruSurround –Simulates surround sound that otherwise would require
installation of a surround sound audio system. .....

I have one older wide screen TV (no HDMI ARC) that doesnt feed through 5.1 surround through the toslink , only stereo (by design). I bought a little chinese box that sends the video from my BluRay to the TV and redirects the BluRay 5.1 surround sound to my receiver. That is not helpful for you unfortunately.

It's unclear what models have what (the other dolby options are on selected models only) but in the manual it mentions this faux surround that seems to be common ... but I'm guessing you read this already....

DTS TruSurround –Simulates surround sound that otherwise would require
installation of a surround sound audio system. .....
What's worse is when the models have the features listed but still don't work right.

I have spent weeks researching this, so save the cut and paste. I was looking for first hand experience like "I have used this brand and it works", or "that brand sucks".I already know at least one brand that sucks.
===
I grasp the concept... I was in the surround sound business before home theaters were a thing. I sold a delay line kit that did a passable job decoding old school Dolby surround. I even had some really cheap movie theater customers buy my kits to use on their films... but that was back then, several decades ago...

Now its all digital ...

===

For now I am deciding which roku box to buy, at least two of them have HDMI outputs. I should be able to scrape off digital audio from the HDMI coming from the roku, and then feed the HDMI pass through to the TV monitor. Easy peasy.... :unsure:

JR

PS: The bad news is I will end up with yet another remote control... :rolleyes:

I have a plan for now... a Roku "Ultra" has ethernet and wifi input and HDMI output. I already have a gadget that extracts SPDIF from HDMI with a pass through HDMI output, so I can feed the pass through into one of the unused HDMI inputs on my TV and feed the SPDIF to my 5.1 surround decoder.

I also have a HDMI input 5.1 decoder with a HDMI passthrough output, so that could work if needed.

Cheaper than a new TV (that actually works).

Next I need to figure out how to defeat the microphone on the Roku remote... I don't want the AI robots listening to me. ;)

JR

We have an outdoor movie setup that uses 1080p projector fed from an HDMI source. You can buy a digital HDMI audio extractor box that pulls out the 5.1 (on optical) and sends it to a separate system (obviously the projector doesn't have speakers worth a damn). It also has 3.5mm and RCA outputs for outputting simple stereo. We feed the 3.5mm into a Rane headphone system so up to 8 people can listen without bothering the neighbors if the movie goes too late.

I think it was $15 on Amazon.

We have an outdoor movie setup that uses 1080p projector fed from an HDMI source. You can buy a digital HDMI audio extractor box that pulls out the 5.1 (on optical) and sends it to a separate system (obviously the projector doesn't have speakers worth a damn). It also has 3.5mm and RCA outputs for outputting simple stereo. We feed the 3.5mm into a Rane headphone system so up to 8 people can listen without bothering the neighbors if the movie goes too late.

I think it was $15 on Amazon.
I already have two HDMI digital audio extractors. Both have HDMI inputs and pass through outputs... One extracts the audio to a SPDIF (toslink) optical cable, the other performs the 5.1 extraction with 6 RCA jacks for the surround audio.
===
I just got the 2x1 SPDIF switch remote working.... it turns out it needs the remote IR pickup plugged in. I ASSumed the remote IR pickup was backup for a front panel mounted IR pickup... so that was operator error. ;)

By this weekend I hope to have this fully sorted. Maybe we should start a poll to see how many remotes most people have.. depending on how we count them I already have about 6 remotes going, and the new Roku box will make that 7 remotes total. :rolleyes:

JR

Well, Linus HDMI cable test doesn't bode well. There's a one-in-five chance a new cable doesn't work at all because it's missing some pairs, fi.

I'm sorry John, but you need to watch this, I think.

Of course, USB-C is even worse. I can't comprehend how these institutions (like the USB consortium) have created such a mess.

The testgear used:
https://www.totalphase.com/products/advanced-cable-tester-v2/

Last edited:
I tried but..too goofy..

so far the HDMI cables do not seem to be my problem source.

[edit- my outboard Roku is due in tomorrow, I'll find out soon enough if my cheap HPDI cables are bad. /edit]

JR

Last edited:
I don't want to jinx it by declaring victory too soon but my stand alone ROKU box arrived and is connected to my Roku TV monitor. Having two roku remotes is a little odd, but I will adjust. There is a switch so i could turn off the always-on microphone.

I am feeding the ROKU box HDMI through my SPDIF extractor and from there into my surround system with the through HDMI into the TV.

I just confirmed that I am getting surround sound while streaming a movie to the new ROKU box.

I am still dealing with two program sources (DirectTV and Roku streaming), but better sound than I had yesterday. :cool:

JR

A convenient thing
I still have to switch my audio feed between the direct TV and new Roku (SPDIF feeds).... my old VCR/DVD player uses the speakers built into the TV monitor for sound.

This confirms for me that the ROKU feature built into the ONN TV monitor is faulty, otherwise this would already work.

Curiously my system has started working differently all by itself. If I touch the Direct TV remote while watching ROKU #2 the ONN automatically switches itself back to Direct TV input... This is OK and saves a couple clicks, if/when I want it to. If I don't want it to switch it is not convenient.

JR

I got another "too cheap to work" sku purchase.

Readying my drip irrigation system I ordered a package of new 3/4" GHT to 1/4" irrigation hose barb fittings... The 3/4" garden hose female thread does not work....
41S+TswhmPL._SS142_.jpg

Now the fun part is returning it for credit. It would cost me more than the SKU cost to pay for a pick-up and its a 25+ mile drive to a drop off site.

In the past I have mailed the return to the drop off site. Since postage is the same, this time I will mail it directly back to Amazon returns center. If lucky I should manage to get a little something back.

JR

8eff702e9aceb97d2eae6fc6c752eb2c.jpg

my slightly more than one year old bottle washer just broke again. The weak link is the spring that fatigues and breaks. The spring on the new one looks exactly like the old one.

I have contacted the manufacturer asking for replacement springs, its a shame to discard this almost perfect design... arghhh. I just ordered another backup to keep in my kitchen drawer.

JR

8eff702e9aceb97d2eae6fc6c752eb2c.jpg

my slightly more than one year old bottle washer just broke again. The weak link is the spring that fatigues and breaks. The spring on the new one looks exactly like the old one.

I have contacted the manufacturer asking for replacement springs, its a shame to discard this almost perfect design... arghhh. I just ordered another backup to keep in my kitchen drawer.

JR
Some (better) hardware stores have a selection of springs of various kinds. Maybe you can find one that will work.

Some (better) hardware stores have a selection of springs of various kinds. Maybe you can find one that will work.
I already purchased a bunch of springs from mcmaster carr years ago and came up with an IMO more effective spring design, but it would require tooling a fitting. My approach would use a coil spring in compression wrapped around the water tube. My spring approach would be more expensive but extremely robust.

In conversation with the manufacturer they said they were changing their spring design, but the new springs look exactly like the old ones.

I am probably an outlier (high cycle usage) customer.

JR

I just heard back from the bottle washer manufacturer and he says that the new improved springs have pretty much stopped their field failures. I can't tell if the one that just failed was from the earlier old spring batches. The new replacement bottle washers have a bullet on the counter card saying "now with stronger spring". 🤔

JR

Any of this surprises you? Like most of the world these days, disappointing, but not surprising.
One dollar store chain here has items up to 5 bux now but still the same " may work once " bits of plastic & crap, at least when they take over they'll have to deal with mess!

Any of this surprises you? Like most of the world these days, disappointing, but not surprising.
One dollar store chain here has items up to 5 bux now but still the same " may work once " bits of plastic & crap, at least when they take over they'll have to deal with mess!
Yes it surprises me... the bottle washer is otherwise a premium design but with one weak link (the spring). If the upgraded spring works it may now be OK,,, It will take another year or two for me to find out.

JR

The next too cheap to work (well) sku is fly swatters. The cheapo plastic swatters last about 6 months after exposed to sunlight.

They make "leather" flyswatters that probably don't break down in UV light. 🤔

JR

I logged my first kill last night with my new (old school) leather flyswatters (2 for $11). This reminds me of the old rubric about tools. They say "buy once cry once" about buying quality tools. The cheap plastic fly swatters only last a few months exposed to UV sunlight outdoors. The leather fly swatters is probably a very old design, that will survive much longer.

JR

Latest posts

Back