Tool Trolley?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

At my previous workshop I had the luxury of being able to screw a tool-rack to the wall above my workbench. My new office has windows  behind the bench. I prefer the light aspect, but it presents a problem regarding how to organise one's tools. I can't really leave them on the bench as it just gets cluttered and you can't find anything - as well as the PITA factor of having to re-organise the tools every time I want to put a new item on the bench for testing etc.

A friend suggested a 'beauty trolley'. Before taking the plunge and ordering one, I thought I'd post a couple of links here and see what solutions group members recommend. I don't want to buy another item that seems like a great idea in theory, only to end up giving it away when I realise it's flawed in reality. I'm looking at this pair here:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50227973/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hug-Flight-HF-15054-Health-Trolley/dp/B00L526326/ref=sr_1_57?m=A42K1UY2JP9NS&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1420817336&sr=1-57#customerReviews

Have you implemented similar?

Cheers!

At work we just relocated a few different room to accommodate console assembly  and testing for the new consoles coming in.

We picked up a rolling tool chest to accommodate all the new tools. Something like in the photo below. It might be over kill it might not  but it's been doing us well.

image_11487.jpg

Search for 5S house-keeping practices and strategies.  Lots and lots of ideas on how to organize the bench or other workspace/workplace.

Best idea is to get as much off of the work space as you can while keeping common used tools within reach as to eliminate wasted motion walking across the room for a bit etc.

You can use magnetic tool holders on any shelves that overhang above your benches, on walls and rails all over for common used drivers, bits, taps, tweezers, scissors, side cutter, needle nose, wire stripper, etc. 

Peg boards on the walls for larger hand tools.

Here's another option similar to your trolley, though these are more for production parts but something like this gobo style.. 
60-piece-Bin-Organizer.jpg

When I worked at the Beeb, many years ago, we had a maintenance trolley with a 19" rack in it with an oscillator and meter.  Deep tray in the top for tool bags, etc plus storage space in the bottom.  Fantastic thing.  Completely over-the-top, but we had studios in three wings and on seven floors so that thing did lots of miles!

Nick Froome

If space is at a premium you could think about putting tool holders in front of the window. If it's just hand tools like pliers and cutters you could put a couple of pieces of 2"x4" or metal bar stock across the window frame and mount holders on that. It wouldn't block much light and would be right in front of you.

I couldn't resist knocking up a trolley in SketchUp.  This is fairly accurate to the Bush House maintenance trolley, circa 1980.  It was built of Speedframe and ally sheet.  Tool rolls and spray cans went in the top recess

Top two rack units were an oscillator and a meter, each 3U as I recall

I think a modern version would have cup-holders for the inevitable polystyrene cup of stewed BBC canteen tea

index.php

Nick Froome

Attachments

• maintenance_trolley_2.jpg
    maintenance_trolley_2.jpg
    169 KB
Thanks to all of you - much appreciated.

I'm still leaning towards a trolley on wheels. A tool-box like Pucho's would be ok, but I'd have to be organised as you can't see what's in each tray from the outside. The advantage of a plastic beautician-type is that I can see what's in each tray at a glance.

Thanks for the sketch, Nick : - ) I got chatting to someone who worked at TV Centre on NYE. He was saying how you had so many different departments in close proximity to one another, creating a creative buzz as everyone could interact in person so immediately. The downside was the bureaucracy. I can't see the demise of TV Centre having a positive effect in terms of programming quality... Sorry - I'm derailing my own thread!

> A tool-box like Pucho's

Auto mechanic toolboxes are quite expensive and heavy. Invaluable for car wrenches (no lesser construction would stand-up; my tools run over 1000 lbs) but perhaps gross-excess for TV/Radio repair. And they never come up in yard-sales, someone in the family always snags the dead man's toolbox (I got my father-in-law's).

> you can't see what's in each tray from the outside

You pick a topic for each drawer, stick to it, and label the outside. Big wrench/pliers, small wrench/pliers, wood drills, metal drills and punches, edge tools.....  I'm gonna label my drawers one of these days, meanwhile I always open several drawers to get oriented.

PRR said:
> A tool-box like Pucho's

Auto mechanic toolboxes are quite expensive and heavy. Invaluable for car wrenches (no lesser construction would stand-up; my tools run over 1000 lbs) but perhaps gross-excess for TV/Radio repair. And they never come up in yard-sales, someone in the family always snags the dead man's toolbox (I got my father-in-law's).

> you can't see what's in each tray from the outside

You pick a topic for each drawer, stick to it, and label the outside. Big wrench/pliers, small wrench/pliers, wood drills, metal drills and punches, edge tools.....  I'm gonna label my drawers one of these days, meanwhile I always open several drawers to get oriented.

Thanks. The funny thing is, I found a toolbox just like Pucho's in Google for £80... Chinese manufacturing methinks. Either way, it is overkill for TV / Radio-type stuff, I agree. I'm just finding my feet after moving a couple of weeks back. It seems that wherever I put something it's a compromise. I might have to start a 'messiest bench photo - part 50021' thread

Latest posts

Back