Trafos and x-rays

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warpie

Probably a silly question but is it safe to pass transformers and inductors through the scanning machines in the airports?  ;D

A friend had to travel in a plane with an omnidirectional speaker, the scanner showed there was something like drugs inside, maybe because the magnetic field, so he had to take the thing apart in front of the police before catching the fly, a long story arounds it, a very funny one by the way.

Other than that I didn't heard any other story around electro magnetic things and airports, and I don't have anything to think there is something wrong about that. If you are afraid you could show them and ask not to pass them by the scanner, if you take everything apart there shouldn't be a problem, If the transformer have a mumetal can they won't be able to look inside with the scanner probably, but they would probably ask you to do so, since you can't show inside that, if they are OP probably it's ok. People shoots transformers inside of those all the time in their chargers for phones and computers, no problem with that, there shouldn't be a problem with audio ones wither, though more sensitive, nothing to worry I think.

JS

You can carry floppy-disks through the London Underground. (There "is" an issue sitting right over a 400HP motor, but the effect is un-measurable.)

I'm sure you can run heavy iron through the X-ray.

joaquins said:
A friend had to travel in a plane with an omnidirectional speaker, the scanner showed there was something like drugs inside, maybe because the magnetic field, so he had to take the thing apart in front of the police before catching the fly, a long story arounds it, a very funny one by the way.

I went to visit Church Studio in London with this guy in my luggage....
4295.png

in depth inspection on both airports, and some additional sniffing machine in London.... was fun to explain what it is.... not a bomb....

- Michael

Attachments

• 4295.png
    4295.png
    146.6 KB
audiomixer said:
joaquins said:

I went to visit Church Studio in London with this guy in my luggage....
4295.png

in depth inspection on both airports, and some additional sniffing machine in London.... was fun to explain what it is.... not a bomb....

- Michael

Another fun story about airports and omni sources... The one in mines was a little bit older, dodecahedron with 12 biggish speakers inside, no easy to carry and a lot of drug could be fitted inside. Yours is so much beautiful and portable.. nice one!

JS

Actually I had to lend this one from a friend so that I could take it on my hand baggage. usually we use a dodec with a subwoofer extension for extended range and headroom..... we built our own dodec of course..... smile.....

- Michael

Back