Transformer ID

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlgoRhythms

GDIY Supporter
I'm looking for any info, especially a spec sheet and pin configuration for a UTC V3856 line transformer.

It appears to be a unity gain 150/600 ohm primary and secondary but that's just a guess on my part.

I'm quite familiar with UTC audio transformers, especially the "A" and "LS" series but have never seen anything about the V-3856.

Below is a photo of the terminals, which appear to be similar to a Western Electric 111C. And a second photo showing a UTC "A" 21 shown for scale.

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_4811.JPG
    IMG_4811.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4813.JPG
    IMG_4813.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I'm looking for any info, especially a spec sheet and pin configuration for a UTC V3856 line transformer.

It appears to be a unity gain 150/600 ohm primary and secondary but that's just a guess on my part.

I'm quite familiar with UTC audio transformers, especially the "A" and "LS" series but have never seen anything about the V-3856.

Below is a photo of the terminals, which appear to be similar to a Western Electric 111C. And a second photo showing a UTC "A" 21 shown for scale.

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael
Hello, I have a few of these. They were UTC's affordable answer to the WE111c. Below is all the info I have on them, which isn't much (pin out is the same as 111c I believe, I'll double check). The one thing, a tale as old as time... They don't exxxxaaaaccccttttllllyyyyy match the WE specs. They will distort on very low frequencies somewhere around 15db, up to about 100hz. It's been a while since I tested them (and perhaps without a datasheet I did something wrong, but... probably not).

The cool thing about that is they make a really interesting distortion unit. I call it the fuzzy bottom. It will only distort the sub part of the signal, while the rest remains clean. It can do some really cool sounding things on drums, bass, etc.

Anyway, hope this helps.

IMG_1388.pngIMG_1389.png
IMG_1390.png

Thank you very much for this info. Very interesting and greatly appreciated!

When the article says same specs as a WE 111C, I presume that also means the same pin configuration?

Michael MacDonald
AlgoRhythms Mastering

Latest posts

Back