Transformer Theory

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinheronmusic

Can someone explain (microphone) transformers to me? I never really understood.

- What dictates the windings ratio and the impedance?
- What are the effects of having a mismatched transformer?
- What effect does the laminate have on the transformer?

If anyone has any resources for me on this subject, or articles that they found helpful, I would love to learn.

justinheronmusic said:
Can someone explain (microphone) transformers to me? I never really understood.

- What dictates the windings ratio and the impedance?
Wiki is good for answering that. Voltage is proportional to the number of turns. Since power out equals power in (because xfmr is passive), current is in reverse proportion, so impedance grows with the square of turn number. Turn number ratio is same as voltage ratio.
Mic input transformers are needed because most electronic circuits are not very good with 150-200 ohm sources. There is a notion of Optimum Source Impedance, where S/N ratio is optimum.
A good xfmr for a mic pre has an input impedance of 150-200 ohms and a secondary impedance that matches the OSI of the electronics.

- What are the effects of having a mismatched transformer?
How mismatched? Officially, matching impedances is for providing maximum power transfer; it occurs when the source Z is equal to the load Z.
But I think this is not what you're interested in.
For mic pres, matching the OSI is the goal. The more the secondary impedance differs from the OSI, the worse the S/N ratio.

- What effect does the laminate have on the transformer?
Subject too complex for answering in a short post. There are two major ingredients in xfmr lams: iron and nickel. The rest is in pharmaceutical doses.
Iron is able to carry more power, nickel does it more smoothly.

abbey road d enfer said:
Wiki is good for answering that. Voltage is proportional to the number of turns. Since power out equals power in (because xfmr is passive), current is in reverse proportion, so impedance grows with the square of turn number. Turn number ratio is same as voltage ratio.
Mic input transformers are needed because most electronic circuits are not very good with 150-200 ohm sources. There is a notion of Optimum Source Impedance, where S/N ratio is optimum.
A good xfmr for a mic pre has an input impedance of 150-200 ohms and a secondary impedance that matches the OSI of the electronics.
How mismatched? Officially, matching impedances is for providing maximum power transfer; it occurs when the source Z is equal to the load Z.
For mic pres, matching the OSI is the goal. The more the secondary impedance differs from the OSI, the worse the S/N ratio.
Subject too complex for answering in a short post. There are two major ingredients in xfmr lams: iron and nickel. The rest is in pharmaceutical doses.
Iron is able to carry more power, nickel does it more smoothly.

This was one of the most helpful replies that I have gotten on groupdiy in a long time. Thank you for be patient with me and helping to educate me in this. This is a good launching point to explore greater heights in this subject.

As far as everyone's links, thank you so much for helping to provide me with not only the tip of the iceberg, but the rest of the iceberg as well. I look forward to getting into this a little more.

What does it take to wind your own transformer?

abbey road d enfer said:

I read this as you (the OP) asking about using a transformer in a circuit in a way that disregards the nominal source/load it was designed for. If that’s what you’re asking, the results vary for different transformers, but there are some general patterns.

Generally speaking, using, say, an input transformer specified for 150/600 source impedance and 10k load impedance in a circuit where the source impedance, load impedance or both are significantly higher or lower than the transformer was designed for will result in a shift in frequency response. Depending on the specific conditions, you may see a drop off in low end response or a drop off in high end response, and/or a rise in one or the other.

But this isn’t always the case. Some transformers are more sensitive to such misuse than others. Some may show little change in response from higher or lower than nominal source or load impedance, particularly some 1:1 transformers. In my experience, however, most will show at least some shift in response when these parameters are shifted up or down.  For some, the shift will be drastic.

It’s easy to test this out yourself. Do a series of sweeps with a function generator on a transformer with different series resistor values on the input (between the generator and the primary of the transformer under test, taking into consideration the output impedance of your generator) and different parallel resistors across the secondary. Watch how the response changes on the bode plot with each sweep with the different resistor values on the input or the output.

If this wasn’t what you were asking about, please clarify.

some easy to understand stuff here>

https://www.sowter.co.uk/faq.php

this is my favorite transformer article of all eternity right here>

https://www.sowter.co.uk/pdf/GAVS.pdf

rackmonkey said:
If this wasn’t what you were asking about, please clarify.

You read correctly. Though it is important for me to know concepts in both PSU as well as audio transformers, I am particularly interested in audio transformers, and the effects of mismatching in relation to distortion, frequency response, and wear and tear, if any on the circuit.

When I run into a situation where I reach the limits of my knowledge, that is when it is best time to level up and overcome the limits. I am having 3 different transformer related situations that remain rather ambiguous to me, and I would like to feel confident in answering questions that keep coming up with the builds I am working on.

justinheronmusic said:
I am particularly interested in audio transformers, and the effects of mismatching in relation to distortion, frequency response, and wear and tear, if any on the circuit.

Another, well worded entry basics, is whatever the Audio Cyclopedia Vol 1-3 has to say.  The 'New' Audio Cyclopedia Vol 4 may have something, but less detailed.    Find and download Radio Designers Handbook Vol 3 also, if there's anything there it's much more scrutable than the well known Vol 4. 

I just wrote a huge long post and attached a document to it only to get dreaded upload folder is full error message and I lost the lot. So, shortened version:

Last year I specified a couple of custom transformers both of which were designed by groupDIY members (CJ and Volker). In doing this I learnt a lot about the basics of designing real transformers so I started to write an article about it but never finished it. Even so I thought you might find it useful. Can't post it here so I have uploaded it to my web site. Go to:

http://www.customtubeconsoles.com/diy

and scroll down to and open the Iron folder. In there you will find AudioTransformerDesignBasics.pdf.

Cheers

Ian

Back