Transformerless Tube Input Discussion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tek really went south when they fired a lot of their old engineers and the newbies started doing these ugly menu-driven monstrosities.

I remember one budget scope H*rm*n bought that actually didn't allow you to view one channel while being triggered by the other!! Amazingly stupid!

I still like my 2236 although it has developed problems. I do miss the beautiful fine dots/traces of the old 500-series tube scopes though.

Thanks all for the info.

Even though I still use Tek scopes, they kind of lost me about the time the 465 scopes came out.
At work we try to avoid buying Tek when we can - we've had a few nasty surprises with expensive Tek-stuff that suddenly was no longer servicable.
Bye bye investment...

Tek really went south when they fired a lot of their old engineers and the newbies started doing these ugly menu-driven monstrosities.
Same for HP - we'd love to buy another spectrum analyser at work with comparable performance to their old, say HP3585, but HP/Agilent can't make them anymore... Perhaps we should try refurbished.

I remember on budget scope H*rm*n bought that actually didn't allow you to view one channel while being triggered by the other!! Amazingly stupid!
:shock:

I still like my 2236 although it has developed problems. I do miss the beautiful fine dots/traces of the old 500-series tube scopes though.
I have a 535A and I like that 6cm vertical ! :wink:

A transformerless tube pre might not be as good as a transformer input type at certain things, but for a hot output condenser mic it's hard to beat. I am updating the input section to the schematic posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm hooked to the sound of these things, I have a number 1 song on the local stations featuring this device, so what can I say. Reggae.

Analag

The last time I looked, there were two transformers in your typical tube mic pre. Consider a circuit with maybe only one chunk of iron missing? Take your pick. I say ditch the input iron and run a nice warm parafeed output stage. Hopefully, your lack of cmr and any grounding issues from using a common mode input won't screw things up.

Look at my FETCODED design the CMRR is way up there, frequency response is flat from 10 to 100khz the only thing it's lacking is saturation distortion....oh I forgot that's the magic isn't it. My intention is to build one of each I have more than one of each and so far the transformerless tube input is a unique animal it's got me by the balls?

Analag

Back