Transformers in a pedal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toto421

Hi, sorry if this does’t belong here but i am new in this forum.

I saw some bogner pedals advertising that they have a transformer inside that colours the sound and use a 9V battery.

My question is: how is that done since from what i have read about transformers is that they only work with AC and the 9V baterry is DC.

In way can this be achieved?

My question is: how is that done since from what i have read about transformers is that they only work with AC and the 9V baterry is DC.

In way can this be achieved?

the 9V DC it's the supply for the active circuitry inside the pedal (transistors, ICs) and that work before or after the transformer.

Like Newmarket explained Audio is an AC voltage, so Audio goes through that transformer at some point, the transformer is passive meaning it doesn't need any voltage supply to work, then before or after the transformer there's probably some active circuit, that can be a buffer circuit , an overdrive or distortion circuit, etc etc

Great! Thanks for all the usefull information!

So can it be any type of transformer like the ones inside power adapters? Or does it have to be a specific type in order to add odd harmonic saturation to a signal?

Also can it be any ratio 1:1, 1:2 etc. or will a 1:2 increase the voltage even though it is pasive?

Great! Thanks for all the usefull information!

So can it be any type of transformer like the ones inside power adapters? Or does it have to be a specific type in order to add odd harmonic saturation to a signal?

No.

Also can it be any ratio 1:1, 1:2 etc. or will a 1:2 increase the voltage even though it is pasive?

Output voltage is increased / decreased according to the turns ratio (basically).
The trade off is that impedance is transformed by the square of the turns ratio.

What frequency range are you aiming to pass, guitar (from mid range frequencies up) or bass (also low frequencies)?

Thanks for the useful information, just watched some videos about this stuff and got me thinking about something else I’ll post it in this section as well :)

Last edited:
Back