transformers on the brain

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryl

hello lab people. i've got a question thats tainted by fever.
i recently stopped by a local electronics surplus store. they are moving and are selling stuff off for next to nothing, repectively. i asked about matching audio transformers and the guy led me to the back of his wherehouse and pointed out some boxes to go through. there was alot of different stuff that looked interesting, but i'm really not sure what i will be able to use. i'm basicaly wondering if i can get a general idea of impedance ranges for input and output trannies that will apply to the types of projects that that are mainly discussed here. this is a broad question, i know. bare with me. as for the ones that had printed diagrams i picked up selection of 600:600 input transformers. i knew those could come in handy. those numbers are UTC QC52 and BR52, an atlantic peice, and a couple RCA numbers.
any thoughts would rock.

thank you.

david

speaking of brains and trafo's
CJ has some data at his site
don't know if he has some RCA paperwork but try him anyway
http://www.vacuumbrain.com/docs/iron.html

he may have other newer pages ... have a sniff about at cj's.

Or the transformer Meta.
Look for nickel cores if you can see it.

You could get away with two basic transformer models, a 600 to 600, and a 1:10 input that could be turned around to make an output transformer.
Those two would enable you to build a ton of boxes. But the mic in has to be able to handle at least 15 db to make it not saturate as an output transgormer.

I am pretty sure that UTC makes an input transformer, and sells it as an output also. Look at the pinout on a UTC A-26 output transformer for instance. It is wired the same way as a typical input transformer. There are no shields to worry about due to the humbucking construction. Makes life easier for UTC, as the get two transformers from one set of coils. Divides inventory by half and shortens lead time.
cj

Back