Transistor driven relay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, coming back to this topic, I'm wondering whether moving the switch to the "gnd" would cause any trouble.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• relay_mute3.jpg
    relay_mute3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 20
Are you going to be driving the relay with a signal (i.e. the output of a microcontroller) or with a manual switch? if you are driving it through a microcontroller you have to connect it to the base, if you are going to be driving it with a manual switch then ditch the transistor all together....

No reason to switch the gnd. I asked just out of out of curiosity.

user 37518 said:
Are you going to be driving the relay with a signal (i.e. the output of a microcontroller) or with a manual switch? if you are driving it through a microcontroller you have to connect it to the base, if you are going to be driving it with a manual switch then ditch the transistor all together....
No microcontroller. Just manual SPST switches.

Do you think it's an overkill?  I will probably use around 10 relays for things like polarity flip, impedance, +48V (this sort of things).

I got convinced that transistor driven relay is the way to go  but only if it's necessary :D

warpie said:
No reason to switch the gnd. I asked just out of out of curiosity.
No microcontroller. Just manual SPST switches.

Do you think it's an overkill?  I will probably use around 10 relays for things like polarity flip, impedance, +48V (this sort of things).

I got convinced that transistor driven relay is the way to go  but only if it's necessary :D

Why do you need a transistor when a switch will do a better job?, transistors are useful when your controlling signal cannot provide enough current to activate the relay. Otherwise just use a switch.

user 37518 said:
Why do you need a transistor when a switch will do a better job?, transistors are useful when your controlling signal cannot provide enough current to activate the relay. Otherwise just use a switch.

It has been discussed here with some good arguments I believe.

Latest posts

Back