Tree Audio Branch legal in Europe?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bluebird said:
Audio design would be so much easier if we just had one ear on our forehead.  One speaker, no matching, no panning circuits...
But if we didn't have two ears, our distant ancestors would have been eaten by saber tooth tigers when they couldn't determine what direction the animal noises were coming from.  :eek:

JR

JohnRoberts said:
But if we didn't have two ears, our distant ancestors would have been eaten by saber tooth tigers when they couldn't determine what direction the animal noises were coming from.  :eek:

JR

Maybe not. My prof did some research on how ears discriminate front/back and up down as part of a project to help blind people see with ultrasound. He discovered the reflection from the shoulders are crucial in determining up/down and the shape of the ear and the differences in delays for sound from the front and the back are necessary fro front back discrimination. So I single ear can tell front/back and up down. Two also gives you left/right. So two cooperative one eared humans standing back to back would have been able to detect a sabre toothed tiger from any direction.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Maybe not. My prof did some research on how ears discriminate front/back and up down as part of a project to help blind people see with ultrasound. He discovered the reflection from the shoulders are crucial in determining up/down and the shape of the ear and the differences in delays for sound from the front and the back are necessary fro front back discrimination. So I single ear can tell front/back and up down. Two also gives you left/right. So two cooperative one eared humans standing back to back would have been able to detect a sabre toothed tiger from any direction.

Cheers

Ian
It is a little crazy to argue about hypotheticals, and I am pretty sure the single ear in the middle of this imaginary forehead, could  discriminate front/back from frequency shading traveling around the head, but I wouldn't speculate further about pinnae transforms without knowing the shape of the hypothetical single front facing ear.  (We'd have to redesign all the surround sound effects.  ::)  )

The inter ear arrival time (only possible with two ears ) is useful to determine direction vectors in a horizontal plane.

JR

PS: When out riding my bike I can generally hear cars before I see them, and pretty reliably determine whether they are coming from behind or in front by the frequency response of the tire noise.  I still use my mirror tho .  ;D

> two cooperative one eared humans standing back to back would have been able to detect a sabre toothed tiger from any direction.

"You don't have to run faster than the bear. You only have to run faster than the other guy."

Back