tronaldinho`s 1st project GSSL photos and questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know man!! im waiting patiently for igors mastering sontec :D

wow turbo sounds so good

got some analizer photos if someone would have a look and tell me if this is expected :).. looks pretty good from where i am ! can barely hear it when treshold all the way up!

will be really interested in those quad VCA pcb's dunno if anyone is making them .. i think it would sound awsome with more dynamic ive read it makes 10:1 distortion kinda go away? .. is there some sort of schematic or design for self etching for this? i seen some threads but never actually seen anything that i can get my hands on.

:) anyways im really happy going to bed tonight (morning) with a big grin on my face

bwahahaha its alive!!!

btw someone knows any kind of reflective tape i could use for the meter? i really would like it to be a bit brighter and well.. i just dont know where to source it from.

thanks!

finished my second build now! :) soundin gooood :) tried it with panasonic V series 50V caps (0.1uF) seems to be ok

fired it up without opAmps and vcas and couldnt get any reading from the voltages anywhere.. im not sure i know how to fire this thing up and check before i put everything including vcas in.

reads

-15.20V
15.05V
-12.05V
12.05V 
all features including my release RC loop thingy work great!! :) just waiting for the bypass now.

ok i tried super 77 on this pannel its black and colours wont pick up much really.. i think the only other option would be laser but some of the pannel`s holes are a little off (about one milimeter or two some of them...) is there a way to adjust that discrepancy with the laser router or i`d have to correct that on the design beforehand?

or someone knows a colour that REALLY sticks out on dark pannels with the super 77 technique..???? i tried all i could think of even the brightest secondary colours but it all ends up a bit dark in the end
i think the best will be engraving it.

thanks!! taking some pics to upload in a minute :)
got to calibrate thrust first tho

thanks

ptron said:
Thanks so much for the words about fuse rating!! I really needed to know how to do that. My trafo is amevco 30VA (digikey TE62053-ND).  Im not sure bout the fuse kind but ill make sure to get a slow blow type altho not sure how to say that in mexican ;D
And to answer bout headers.. I m pretty sire ididnt place them thingys inside right was awfully hard to get em in their place and i plugged one wrong wire so had to take it out :(

Is there a way that I can fuse the secondaries?  For some reason I keep blowing them out (well, the first one was the primaries, then a secondary - both due to carelessness, but the third seems to have blown as a result of whatever I did to the secondaries on the second transformer).  So I'm out about $100, and it's getting expensive to keep testing this way...  It would almost be cheaper to have just purchased an additional PCB and components at this point.

Hints?  Buy cheap DC adaptors in bulk?

You might want to look into using PTC's on the secondaries.

(I think that's what they are called)

As current increases, they heat up. When they hit a certain temp, they'll stop conducting.

I'm not the guru on them yet though, so my explanation may be incorrect.

Do some googling. (I'm about to!)

/R

Rochey said:
You might want to look into using PTC's on the secondaries.

(I think that's what they are called)
Do some googling. (I'm about to!)

"PTC Thermistors" ... googling away :)

BTW - regarding your CRC board - is there a way I can tell if the components are still good while in-circuit?  My poorly organized workspace (and brainspace) caused me to blow out the secondaries while the CRC was connected - want to know if I need to just desolder and replace everything, or if there is a less painful way.

straypacket said:
ptron said:
Thanks so much for the words about fuse rating!! I really needed to know how to do that. My trafo is amevco 30VA (digikey TE62053-ND).  Im not sure bout the fuse kind but ill make sure to get a slow blow type altho not sure how to say that in mexican ;D
And to answer bout headers.. I m pretty sire ididnt place them thingys inside right was awfully hard to get em in their place and i plugged one wrong wire so had to take it out :(

Is there a way that I can fuse the secondaries?  For some reason I keep blowing them out (well, the first one was the primaries, then a secondary - both due to carelessness, but the third seems to have blown as a result of whatever I did to the secondaries on the second transformer).  So I'm out about $100, and it's getting expensive to keep testing this way...  It would almost be cheaper to have just purchased an additional PCB and components at this point.

Hints?  Buy cheap DC adaptors in bulk?

Regarding cheap DC adaptors - would these be appropriate to use for testing the circuit?  If so, what would I use for the 0v connection?

straypacket said:
Regarding cheap DC adaptors - would these be appropriate to use for testing the circuit?  If so, what would I use for the 0v connection?

Bump... anyone?  Need a way to test without blowing up $40 worth of transformer and shipping every time...

i'd use a multimeter on the input pins and on the output pins between signal and ground.
that'd soon tell you if you had a short.

sorry, that might be a little obvious. :(
You've probably done that already?

straypacket said:
straypacket said:

Bump... anyone?  Need a way to test without blowing up $40 worth of transformer and shipping every time...

Are you sure your transformers are blowing? (measure the secondaries with nothing connected to them) Also, you shouldn't ever have to fuse the secondaries, and especially not when trying to avoid blowing a transformer. You CERTAINLY have something wired up incorrectly.
Don't assume that fusing the secondaries is going to somehow tell you anything. Upon power up, just keep a finger on your transformer (periodly, dont HOLD your finger to the transformer) and if it gets even remotely warmer than warm (It should be COLD unless your drawing a lot of current which you are not) Power off. Also if it gets HOT quickly you are no doubt shorting it somewhere, doubt check for shorts starting at the power supply.

Do some research. I could tell you, but were is the fun in that. Goodluck

Hi all,

Well, I have no idea what happened, but I managed to stop blowing them up.  I'm pretty sure that when I cleaned up my workspace I stopped doing silly/dangerous things with AC...

Here is how I managed to get organized.  It's a 2 RU blank panel mounted on a large flat sheet of plastic, with a a fused AC entry, On/Off switch, mounting screw for a transformer, lots of jacks, and lots of holes for mounting pots, switches and LEDs:

https://plus.google.com/photos/105419510319865834801/albums/5830228922459404353/5830228921825214242?authkey=CNqrj8q_2sK5lAE#photos/105419510319865834801/albums/5830228922459404353/5830228921825214242?authkey=CNqrj8q_2sK5lAE

Just need to add screw terminals for the I/O jacks and post-PSU power, and then some method of securing PCBs to it... Very handy.

Latest posts

Back