Troobleshooting an Electric Dryer anyone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Wrong forum i know....but i'm lazy....dont wanna look for it and register...

So i have a Whirlpool electric Dryer....it heats but not enough to dry clothes...

Obviously its running on 220V....

I have some idea but just wanna be sure to chek it out....

The exhaust exit its located on the roof...its freezing cold right now to get there..

I'm gonna check the Thermostat, the Element and what else??

Thanks... ;D

Check the exhaust vent path and see if it's clear... Is the temperature 'heating' cycling more "off" than "on"... i.e. is it "short-cycling"? (this often indicates a blocked path.)

i've dismantled a couple; I took a photo sequence of the last whirlpool (same as Kenmore, I believe) repair that I did. -It's usually worth cleaning out in there.

Keith

> it heats but not enough to dry clothes...

Outlet blocked by frozen bird/nest.

Lint, lint, lint, lint.......

Some e-dryers have two heating elements. One fails, half-hot takes a lot longer.

http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=606

way too long link to helpful overview

If you would say your model number I might already have a wiring plan. Whirlpool does not post service manuals online, but 3rd-party part shops like that site have to post basic pictures so you and they know you are ordering the right doohickey.

3387749_LRG.jpg

> Obviously its running on 220V....

You think it is. It probably is, since it "was working". However most "230V" dryers may be re-wired for 115V operation at 4 times the dry-time. That's how my parents do clothes: their old house does not have enough juice for proper 230V drying. (When they bought the house the dryer was wired -before- the main fuse. My father thought that was bad practice.) No problem: wash in evening, dry all night, ready in the morning.

Depending on how the motor and heater(s) are connected, and how crappy your electrical circuits are (my house is full of crappy electrical circuits), it "may" be possible you lost one half of your "230V" line, but the motor and timer and maybe some heat work from the other side to neutral.

i checked the exhaust and it was being chocked by a piece of wood....i took out the wood and its fine now.

Thanks.

Back