Tube Amplification Primer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc

What I would like to do here is start a thread for those of us who are somewhat versed in electronics but are still scratching our heads when it comes vacuum tubes and their operation. Like me for example. I can read a set of schematics, trace/troubleshoot circuits, and even design my own circuits; but, tubes? I am in the dark while wearing dark glasses with mud on them and a bag over my head (get the idea?). I have always marvelled at the final product from tube pre-amps and amps, but could never grasp the concept.

I hope I am not alone.

Doc

> I am in the dark while wearing dark glasses with mud on them

What do you see?

It may be easier to improve a partial concept than to start from scratch on things you already know (even if you don't realize you know).

I too am baffled by some characteristics of tube amplifiers.
I have read that a MOSFET transistor is most similar to a tube, but dont quote me on that.
In gtr amps, I am confused on how gain is established. Tubes have an innate amplification factor and most gtr amps just resistively increase/decrease the voltage applied to the grid, or resistively sink the output of the tube but is there no feedback going on? or am i missing how it is implemented.
pardon my ignorance, but i would like to know.

thanks for any answers in advance

andrew

Good, I am not the only one with questions, I see. Hopefully the gurus of tubes will chime in and help educate us poor unwashed masses.

Doc

how i see it:
we energize the plate with a high voltage.
we want to draw current from the cathode to the plate -which is either at ground potential or slightly positive due to the cathode resistor which due to ohms law creates a voltage drop when current flows to the plate.
we use a grid -which we want negative to the cathode -to moderate and influence this current and add a bias current to optimize this transfer.
so,- in decreasing voltage potential - we have the very high plate voltage,
then the close to ground(cathose resistor bias) or ground(tied to ground itself) potential of the cathode,
then the grid at ground potential(used with the cathode resistor topology) or even more negative voltage when using a seperate bias source.

am i crazy?

start here:

Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio at Amazon.com

perhaps supplement with a tube manual... I have the RCA recieving tube one that antique electronics sells. And if you want the ultimate reference... although much of it may not be usefull at first... the radiotron designers handbook. All the datasheets from the manuals and info from the radiotron book are available online if you're willing to hunt around for them. but, if your like me... you might prefer a hard copy so you can kick back with a cup of coffee or something and read up.

I'm sort of in a similar boat...but not similar... opposite maybe... I started with tube stuff like this. The more and more I read on this forum... the more and more solid state / opamp / stuff i see... The cool thing about that is you can actually go somewhere and take a class on it. I've been toying with that idea lately.... taking a couple of electronics classes at the local community college. With the tube stuff, i really had to seek and find info about it. It's out there though. check some of the old threads in the meta's. There's plenty of info around here to get you started.

joe

here is agood place
http://www.aikenamps.com/

NYD had a posted a link in the past to the crowhust(sp) stuff on line very good info. load lines and other good stuff

An empty space won't pass any current (at reasonable voltages).

If you put a very hot metal electrode in an empty space, electrons boil off. We call it "cathode".

If you put in a second electrode, the "anode" or "plate" that is more positive than the first, the electrons will flow to the plate.

The number of electrons is a function of the size of the cathode, the cathode-plate distance, and the voltage on the plate. In normal operation, the first two values are fixed in the factory, but you can change the voltage and that changes the current.

If you put a resistor between the plate and the battery, the current causes a voltage drop in the resistor. If you change the battery voltage, the current changes, and the voltage drop changes.

If the plate is negative of the cathode, no electrons flow. Already we have a rectifier.

You have a positive plate flowing current. Put a wire-mesh fence or "grid" between the cathode and plate. If you put a voltage from grid to cathode, the electrons coming off the cathode feel the voltages on both the plate and the grid. The grid is closer and has more effect. If the grid is negative, no electrons flow to it. Now a small change in grid voltage, without any grid current, can cause a large change in plate current. If you have a plate resistor, now you can change its voltage drop a lot with a small change of grid voltage.

If the grid goes positive of the cathode, it sucks many of the electrons that would otherwise flow to the plate. Now it is hard work to change the grid voltage. In most audio systems we do not let the grid go positive of the cathode.

> a MOSFET transistor is most similar to a tube

A vacuum tube is an FET. FETs differ in what they use for a channel (empty space or a crystal) and how they insulate the control electrode. Vacuum tubes and JFETs use a diode as the control electrode: when negative, no current flows, and positive-grid/gate operation is unusual. MOSFETs have a glass insulator and the gate can be driven with any voltage (up to ~100V for thin glass, but there is usually a 20V protection diode, and normally there is no point in driving the grid higher than 4 or 5 volts).

While these are all FETs, they are made in different shapes. A vacuum tube normally has its control grid blocking the electron path. JFETs and MOSFETs put the control gate on the side of the current path and pinch-off the current flow. Wide variations of length and thickness can give a variety of response curves.

I've always considered JFETs to be tube-like, because they will suck grid current, so are normally operated negative-gate, and because MOSFETs have been much noisier than vacuum triodes or JFETs. But yeah, as a first approximation a MOSFET is a tube that works best with a positive gate not drawing current.

> I am confused on how gain is established.

In triodes, both the grid and plate affect plate current. The grid has the most effect, but a large swing of plate voltage will negate the change of grid voltage. That means there is a maximum possible voltage amplification, the Amplification Factor or Mu. In real life, you never get that much gain, 70% to 50% of Mu is doing good.

It is possible to plot the voltage gain from the plate curve diagram. But that is hard work, the diagrams are imprecise, and typical voltage amplifiers work at the very bottom of a plate curve diagram drawn to show the whole useful range of the tube.

What you really do is turn to the back of the tube manual, to the Resistance Coupled Amplifier chart. This lists the tubes commonly used for voltage amplifiers, suggested values, and performance data. Find a condition similar to yours and steal it. Remember that 99% of The Old Men were no smarter than you, and the 1% did the calculations and tables that made tube-design easy for all the others.

Just want to keep this thread up the top so knowing ones here can continue to contribute. I am just learning myself so havent anything useful to add, but I sure use and appreciate advice given here! :thumb:

I got a gift card to Borders for Xmas and couldn't find something I wanted there, so I ordered:

"Mullard Tube Circuits for Audio Amplifiers" Mullard Technical Serv Dept

It was the only tube book I could afford. Anyone familiar with it?

Alright, this thread is great. Less clonin, more learnin ! :thumb:

so....

I know I started another thread on this, but what the hell . The info provided there was very helpful by the way. One question though:

I am little confused how the miller effect actually rolls of the high end. I figure the roll off is due to the capcitance between the electrodes , which is made to look larger in proportion to the gain of the circuit.

So, to chrage the capcitance , current is needed and comes from the grid voltage? Plate current, or both?

If some of the plate current is coupled back to the grid, where does it then go ?

I also wonder about calculating total input impedance. I see formulas working around the grid resistance and its interaction with said capacitance. Is this the total picture?

Edison noticed when he put a "plate" of metal in his lightbulb, he could measure current between the filament and this plate. Being of great humility, he called it the "Edison Effect". and it was electron flow thru a vacuum from a hot metal thing.

Not much was done with this "diode" until:

In the early 1900's a guy named Deforest put the grid mesh in there and made a small grid voltage control a large plate voltage. He had the right idea, he just couldn't explain to the Patent Office how it worked.

With amplification, orchestras could be reproduced in your home without a 4 foot horn. And voice and music replaced sparky morse code on the radio.

This was all we had til Bell Labs got rid of most of the heat.

The FET is so similar because the gate and grid operate in near proximity to passing electrons. A Trans-conductance Transistor.

Latest posts

Back