tube gear cap overvoltage on power up

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn Zetterlund

If a (modern) polypropylene film cap, in this case a RIFA rated at 250V dc, sees 300V across it for about a second or two every time a piece of gear is powered up...just how naughty is that? The plate supply is a simple two big caps and two resistors job...do I really need to worry about making a switch on delay here?

Thanks,

Bjorn

I guess it may not be a problem. But I would use a 400V cap anyway...

Or perhaps you could add some zeners to "eat" the overvoltage at powerup?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Yes, that is naughty :grin: I wouldn't recommend that, the foil may arch trough, partly destroying. Some filmcaps can tolerate this though..

No need for a delayed switch, just change the cap :wink:

Ho Ho! There are Danes about!

Well...I know it's not ideal, but these caps are right behind the valve, as in soldered to the socket...and there's 8 channels...therefore a bit of a bitch. Didn't think of zeners, though, that's actually a pretty good idea. Anyone else try that and lived to tell the tale?

Bjorn

Usually you can put two or three times the voltage across a cap and it won't even blink.
Just don't run them all day like that.
We have a hi-pot tester here at work.
It automatically limits the current when insulation breakthru is reached.
It's funny how high you can go over the ratings of most caps.
Like a 33 volt tant will take 200 volts befor it pops.
220 volt mylar takes 1000 volts!
I bet....hold on, I am gonna go hi-pot a poly for you!

OK, I just put 5 kv (our hi-pot limit voltage) on a 1200 volt spraque and I couldn't get a failure. Thats at least 4 times the dc and not even a hint of breakdown.
I bet that 250 volt poly would take at least 1000 volts dc all day long.

Another test, a spraque orange drop rated at 100 vdc just failed at 1000 vdc, ten times it's rating!

A 200 volt mylar didn't fair so well, it only took 900 volts before failing.

If that poly breaks down after a little 300 vdc everyday, I will buy you a new Lamborghini for your birthday! or however you spell it)
can you spell Castronevenes or whatever his name is?

Hey, CJ I'll send you a couple if you like, see if you can break 'em!

Seriously, they are Evox Rifa PHE 426, and I think are meant to be good quality heavy duty industrial stuff. Once warmed up, they sit at about 160 or something, so they don't have a bad life, really. I shall have to ponder some more...

If you're serious about blowing a few of these up, I'll send you a few CJ!

Bjorn

...you're gonna make me break the rules now, aren't you :cool:

Shoot, those are expensive!
What if I said they blew up at 1000 and then used them in a project?

Note: dc hi-pot rating will always be lower than the ac hi-pot rating.
Another reason for not worrying about those caps.
You are over-voltaging them with dc, not ac.

Chris

If you get a chance test some IC brand films like used in a guitar tube amp. I had repaired an amp that the coupling caps to the output tube grids would break down with a few volts causing the tube to go bright red. Guess what brand cap.

I don't think you could use your findings as rule. I have used a LC102 to ty to "break" some caps the leakage voltage can be adjusted from 1 to 999VDC.

if whatever this is in uses a tube rectifier you could always try a rectifier with a soft start up like a 5V4, Depending on whats in there a different rectifier may lower or raise the voltage abit, but you should be able to find a tube rectifier with soft start up that should get you close enough that everything will be happy. Simple protection for those expensive caps, and no need to replace them.

adam

Latest posts

Back