tube mic question...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asm

got a couple of stupid questions here...

1. ive heard the saying 'use only one tube driven piece of gear in the signal chain while recording'. so, if you use a u47, dont use a tube mic pre behind it....... is that true? and why?

2. i need some more info on power supplies for tube mics. is the type of power supply dependant on the tube, or polar pattern, ect ect.???

if i get around to making a few neumann and akg clones, will i have to build a custom power supply for each of the models?
im a bit confused about the powering issue.

thanks for any help! :thumb:

[quote author="asm"]1. ive heard the saying 'use only one tube driven piece of gear in the signal chain while recording'. so, if you use a u47, dont use a tube mic pre behind it....... is that true? and why?[/quote]

Not true, but often claimed - mostly by people that dosen't own too much tubed stuff. The half-assed theory is that it is "too much tubes". But depends on specific equipment and taste - like most other things.

[quote author="asm"]
2. i need some more info on power supplies for tube mics. is the type of power supply dependant on the tube, or polar pattern, ect ect.???

if i get around to making a few neumann and akg clones, will i have to build a custom power supply for each of the models?
im a bit confused about the powering issue.[/quote]

Read and understand the G7-pages - and sift through the microphone meta. This will give you all info needed.

Jakob E.

Tubes can be as clean or cleaner than a solid state circuit.

Tube sound can be running the tube at a lower voltage and different bias point. Some think tube sound might be the older or newer not so great alloys in the transformers. The lam alloy(s) used in transformer have alot to do with what people call tube sound IMO.

I never herd this before. After all, think of all the great recordings that went from a U47, to something like a 610 console, through a LA2A and then to a tube Sculley machine. Back in the day Everything was tube and things sounded great!
but that had more to do with the engineers then the gear.

I have heard my buddies talk about that saying sometimes it's almost too tubey sounding whatever that means. It's a matter of taste and flavor. Look at studios like Sear sound in NYC that are mainly tube You can't get people out of that place they love it so much. IT's a tube mans wet dream. I have some tube stuff and some solid state stuff and depending what I am doing I will use one or the other. I But one thing always goes if I am doing vocals tube mic, tube micpre, Maybe tube EQ if I EQ to tape or Pro Tools, and maybe a tube compressor if I am compressing to tape/ Pro Tools. I got drum tracking date comming up and I am going to use tube mics on every bit of the kit. I am planning on micing the kit with 3 mics only. Yes 3 mics. 2 tube Overheads in Omni and one cardioid in front of the kit. Much Similar to the Earthworks new Drum micing kit of 3 mics. I am using their setup but with tube mics. The bands drummer is good so it could be done with out issue.

Back