How does CCDA circuit compares with other clasic vintage tube mics circuits (pcb's) available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nen'O

Even if this subject is well covered on the web, it would be usefull to get first hand experience from actual audio engineers.
How does CCDA compares with other clasic vintage tube mics circuits (pcb's) if used in the same body with the same capsule and transformer.
Brian Fox from FoxAudio has great article, in his words CCDA in chinese mics we find is actualy used back in 1995 by David Bock of Bock Audio in his Soundelux U95.
Production of that mic was moved in China for brief time and that is where Chinese engineers ripped off CCDA used about all chinese tube mics we find today.

https://www.foxaudioresearch.ca/CCDA.htm

So far I collected 3 pairs of donnor mics. Apex 460, t.Bone sct2000, t.Bone sct 800 and one SYT 5 from Shuaiy (with pcb made for Advanced Audio).
All mics are modded with well know mod instructions by David from Advanced Audio.
Tubes are EH 12AY7 except for sct 800 (Philips 12AT7), Transformers are from AA and UTM or stock. Capsules are all chinese made Advanced Audio AK12, Maiku K47, ebay M7 and 35mm center terminated.
Apex 460 has Advanced Audio AK 12 capsule, Transformer is AA BV 18, (8:1).
t.Bone sct2000 has Maiku K47 capsule, UTM 0547 (6.5:1)
t.Bone sct 800 - Stock transformer, capsule is 35mm center terminated.
SYT 5 - stock transformer, M7 ebay capsule.

All mics sound great to me, other recording engineers who used them are impressed and musicians loved them too. Due to different capsules and shape each pair of mics has different characteristics. No noise issue, very smooth tube sound, sct800 has a bit more agressive tube colloration but overal amazing tube mics collection for about 1000€ investment.
A question is what is benefit if I replace stock PCB's with C12, U47, U67 pcb clones available?

Thanks

CCDA attempts to create equal and opposite signal currents in its two stages such that the overall HT current draw is constant.

The potential advantages are improved PSRR and separation of the gain stage from the transformer driving output stage.

In practice, the average current in a class A stage is already constant (the current just flows through the tube and through the load in varying proportions). In a properly decoupled stage, the actual variation isn total HT current draw will be minute, any local current variation being supplied by the decoupling capacitor.

A double triode CCDA design will be 3dB noisier than a single tube stage and 6dB noisier than a single stage using the two triodes wired in parallel.

Like all engineering its a compromise.

Cheers

Ian

Really like CCDA mics I have. My impression is that CCDA leaves Capsule to do the work with a touch of tube coloration
-I was told to use 2.2uF for C8, works great.
This is the explanation Dave gave me:
'This way any resonance between the inductance of the output transformer and C8 falls into the sub-sonics below the audio range.'

Back