TWO Western Electric 618 for $3!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think 618 is the correct model number. Can you get a view of the entire label?

I can’t unfortunately. What else could it possibly be? Out of curiosity. Looks so close to a 618, though I’ve never seen one in person.

I don’t suppose anyone knows of what I could potentially build with them? Not sure if I want to sell them or try them out on something… I mean… they gotta be good for something, right??? ha

Well, they are mic input transformers. That's what you do with them. All the WE schematics are online, to see how they used them. But there's nothing of any increased value that you build with them that's worth the potential 'unrealized gains' loss of having something go wrong. Plenty of other great options that you can finance 50 of from selling these.

what I could potentially build with them?

The specs I found said 600:25000 Ohms impedance ratio, so I would guess they are made for line level input to tube equipment. Maybe mic level, I could not find anything definitive. I did see a picture of a tube power amp using these for input transformers, which is why my first guess is line level.

Well, they are mic input transformers. That's what you do with them. All the WE schematics are online, to see how they used them. But there's nothing of any increased value that you build with them that's worth the potential 'unrealized gains' loss of having something go wrong. Plenty of other great options that you can finance 50 of from selling these.
BLAST! You are right… guess I should start that EBay store and quit my hoarding.

BLAST! You are right… guess I should start that EBay store and quit my hoarding.
Oh, the number of times I've said that to myself . . .

One of my worst 'hoardings' is of vintage film cameras; I finally gathered up a bunch and sold to a camera store. Got way more for them than I expected, but mostly it just felt so good to have them passed on to others would use them.

Congrats!
Another aspect of hoarding expensive vintage transformers with the intention to use them in a future build is that they can go bad while waiting on the shelf or in the drawer… some of these prized transformers are now more than 70-80 years old.

Actually not mic input transformers, they’re moving cartridge input transformers for phonograph use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back