TWO Western Electric 618 for $3!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Do the research. Yeah, the Asian hifi people use them for that.
Are you some sort of child? I’ve owned 618B’s over the years. They were never mic transformers. If you don’t agree then keep it to yourself until you figure out what you’re talking about. So many people on here act like they have the last and only word on it. Personally, go ahead use em as mic transformers, until you find out they’re not suitable.

Are you some sort of child? I’ve owned 618B’s over the years. They were never mic transformers. If you don’t agree then keep it to yourself until you figure out what you’re talking about. So many people on here act like they have the last and only word on it. Personally, go ahead use em as mic transformers, until you find out they’re not suitable.

No, but your obstinate ignorance is something, he who knows not what he's talking about. Go look at some WE schematics. They are the mic and line input transformers. You can question WE engineers all you like, to no end.

Last edited:
Those WE transformers born in the 1930's probably never saw much use of MC pickups. Frequency response of those is typical for its era. Today there are better choices.
Ortofon claims early adoption of MC.

Those WE transformers born in the 1930's probably never saw much use of MC pickups. Frequency response of those is typical for its era. Today there are better choices.
Ortofon claims early adoption of MC.
Well. they do measure quite well, at least the pair of 121-A amps I had for awhile. Which I used as mic preamps exclusively. The throughput was flatter than most things that came a decade later.

No, but your obstinate ignorance is something, he who knows not what he's talking about. Go look at some WE schematics. They are the mic and line input transformers. You can question WE engineers all you like, to no end.
Awwww, you’re so precious. Ok, ok…they can anything you want them to be. Feel better?

Awwww, you’re so precious. Ok, ok…they can anything you want them to be. Feel better?

Do you? ….and he still hasn’t looked at the facts…..resents a correction and attacks….

Last edited:
Come on guys....

RULES said:
4. You will find that the members of this community are courteous and respectful of each other, so please reciprocate those gestures. Leave the flame-war mentality at another forum. Personal attacks and generally hateful comments (regarding race, religion, gender, sex, politics, etc...) will not be tolerated.

Be nicer.....

JR

Do you? ….and he still hasn’t looked at the facts…..resents a correction and attacks….
Or at least the facts according to you. I mean this comment in a nice way, to further support my original comment, the Asian market for WE equipment has consumed several of the 618B’s I’ve owned. But not because they’re building mic preamps. The research I’ve done in the past which led me to sell them indicates they are primarily designed for MC usage. The Asians are big into vintage hifi, particularly WE stuff. So, that fits into the consumers world quite nicely. IF they were designed for MIC input, while still being the holy grail, those transformers never would have left the US. In fact, with audio production, there are many, many excellent choices of transformers, unfortunately there are no exceptional designed mic preamps that feature the 618B to speak of.

Ortofon website claims first moving coil cartridge in 1948. I don’t know if thats true or not.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/42974021...r-mic-trans-for-23-c-hifi-tube-mixing-console

and if further proof is required see the attached pdf

Cheers

Ian
Well, thank you for proving my point! A broadcasting mixer used for voice reproduction and hifi….broadcasting consoles have literally no function in a recording studio. This whole thing is silly. Think about it…so many folks on here would dog me if I said I was using my vintage Neumann U47 for broadcasting voice. Sure it would work. But why would I do it…

Ortofon website claims first moving coil cartridge in 1948. I don’t know if thats true or not.
Going back to the 618 topic.... WE's products were sold for radio broadcast stations, motion picture studios and theaters, disc cutting systems, PA systems, Ma Bell telephone circuits and similar professional applications. There was no "hifi hobby" consumer market to speak of and no market for a MC phono transformer.

Hence, the 618 was intended as a mic input transformer; I've seen it used in that function in numerous old WE schematics. If, nearly 100 years later, the hifi folks decide to use it for matching a moving coil pickup into their preamp that's their choice. Probably not optimal, however.

Hell, you could use a 220V to 6.3V filament transformer hooked up backwards. It will step up the MC's output voltage...but not optimal. <g>

Bri

Well, thank you for proving my point! A broadcasting mixer used for voice reproduction and hifi….broadcasting consoles have literally no function in a recording studio. This whole thing is silly. Think about it…so many folks on here would dog me if I said I was using my vintage Neumann U47 for broadcasting voice. Sure it would work. But why would I do it…
Most of the recording consoles in the '50s and early '60s were in fact broadcast consoles.

Even Bill Putnam, before he began building his own, started Universal Recording using (wadd'ya know!) a Western Electric broadcast console. This is a fun interview with Putnam (1989):
https://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/afternoon_putnam.pdf

Quite a few Elvis and Sinatra records made at Radio Recorders with it's WE console.

Last edited:
What do you think they worked with in (not only) German radio and tv stations in the 50s and 60s? I think you have misunderstood something...
Even into the 1980's in the USA. I knew an older "Golden Throat" voice-over guy in Okla. City who for years used his own vintage U47 for his work. I've seen pix from the 1990's or 2000's of the (in)famous "shock jock" The Greaseman using what appears to be a U87.

Bri

Actually I disproved your point. In post #21 You said, and I quote "They were never mic transformers"

They quite clearly were mic transformers.

Cheers

Ian

Actually not mic input transformers, they’re moving cartridge input transformers for phonograph use.
Wrong inference.
Just because people now use them as MC cartridge interface doesn't mean they were designed for this particular application.
It turns out that many mic input transformers had a very low input connection (30-50 ohms), which makes them suitable for MC applications.

Well, well, well. It appears my statements have gotten quite the attention. Thank you all for taking the time out of your day to school me. We can all believe what we want, given the information out there. I, for one, maintain my original statement, based on my access to original, non publicized documentation from WE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back