U47 Clone. Troubleshooting help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkiijam

I'm dealing with a U47 clone that I may have broken or damaged the capsule on. I don't think I did anything stupid* but here are my symptoms.

1. Lots of noise. Pink noise I would describe it as. My spectrum analyzer isn't really picking up much in the high frequency range.
2. Maybe low signal, but maybe the level is normal.
3. In omni mode (sweepable polarization control) the noise remains but the signal drops away to VERY low.
4. One side (the front) is pretty darn dirty looking. I'm even seeing colored threads!!! under the microscope. It appears to be the side that is "dead"
5. I have swapped the "sides" of the capsule around by wiring it differently. The issue sure seems to follow the dirty side.

But why would it totally die in omni? Wouldn't it still work if one "side" was shorted or something?

Now for the *. I "twisted the capsule by grabbing ahold of the brass portion to align the "front" with the front of the mic. I'm wondering if that could have tweaked the tension or something? It doesn't look perturbed under the microscope, but...?

So before the "Alignment Twisting" it was working properly?
No Noise/Low Level/Omin problem ?

Maybe take some photos and also record some sound ans show us the problems

The mic's condition was unknown before work began. I see if I can post some pictures later today.

Latest posts

Back