UA Apollo's PGA 2500 dead?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zvukofor

Hi!
A friend of mine has an Apollo 8p audio interface where 2 channels seems to be dead...or not yet.

It seems like pad, +48V and gain are not working on both channels, and as both phantom and pad are controlled by PGA 2500 IC, it was logical to check if it sends logic (pun) out to control relays. It seems (on oscilloscope) like digital input of PGA is getting data, but nothing comes out of its GPO logic level outs...
Sound comes just fine thru PGA, just no control for the gain...so it works only as a line input.

So, the question: is PGA 2500 dead? I've never seen it dies in such a strange way...

Thank you!

It's not impossible. Swap one (or both) out and see if it comes back to life.

I've encountered ADCs and DACs that had kicked the bucket, so...

PS. How certain are you that the pad & phantom switching are controlled by the PGA2500's? Or have you traced / beeped out the connections to confirm that?

Well, i've traced it with an oscilloscope on a working channels - they output impulses to control relays. Those two that are broken - silent.
Yeap, i guess i need to order a couple of PGA (+40$ on delivery...), just cannot imagine how they could be dead with still working audio path...it is what fried first usually, but control part? Maybe broken firmware upgrade?

PGA2500's don't have any internal firmware that i'm aware of.

Where are you located, though? Just curious what component retailers you might have access to.

No, it was said to me that it could stop working after (possibly unsuccessful) Apollo firmware update. What are other options to burn control part of PGA? )
We are in Armenia, we use Banzai Music here for audio-only related components, otherwise LCSC or Mouser.

I really doubt any sort of firmware update could "burn" the control part of a 2500. If it was receiving the wrong commands after a fw update, that's a lot more credible / likely, but much much more unprofessional. Beta testing anyone? 🤦‍♂️

You might want to take a look at tme.eu as well, as a component distributor.

I guess firmware update could go wrong...anyway, thatnk you, i guess i need to order PGAs and just replace 'em.
Thank you for "approving" TME, i've discovered it this spring, but just have no opinions on it, i'll definitely try to order from them, nice catalogue.

Back