Unrectified Vu Meter - AM864 - Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepdark

Hi there

I'm looking at the vu meter for the Federal AM-864 and had a question about it. ON the schematic, the vu-meter is externally rectified at the output with a diode bride and a resistor, but the gain reduction side of the meter circuit isn't rectified. So my question is: what if I use a rectified vu-meter and don't put the external bride rectifier? I mean, to read the output, we already needed to rectified the ac signal, so having it internally rectified will not change anything, prior of putting the right resistor in serie (3K9??). Now, on the gain reduction side, if we don't pass through the bridge, this should means we are already in DC, isn't it? If a dc signal pass through a bridge rectifier, will it just pass through and just don't care about the bridge since it's already dc, or I'll mess with the signal?

Other option would be to ignor the output and simply read gain reduction. On the schematic there is no resistor in serie but I bet I'll have to tweak a couple of values to adjust the 0!?

My plan is to use one of Hairball's vu meter. My client has a limited budget and I don't have the luxury to get a 150$ Simpson vu meter.

Thanks folks

Attachments

• AM-864_Schem.jpg
    AM-864_Schem.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 23
I can't answer your question but I'm curious what is happening with the inductor/choke under the power supply caps. This schematic is simple, and tempting to build. Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back