Sifam VU Meter AL29W

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtom

I have this SIFAM VU METER that isn't really working. I tried to put a signal with the 3,9k resistor in series but nothing moves. Is it possible that the rectifiers are damaged ?

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 16.51.46.png

www said:
A low range ac voltmeter suitable for connecting across a 600 ohm line and self contained except for requiring an external 3.6k ohm resistor. Calibrated for use with a 3.6k ohm resistor 4vu above the scale marking so that the reference deflection (0vu) is produced by a signal 4vu above 1mW in 600 ohms (1.228v).

The performance of the meter is based upon the requirements of BS 6840: Part 17:1991, IEC 268 - 17: 1990. The dynamic characteristics quoted, which requires the response time to 99% of reference deflection (0vu) to be 0.3 seconds +/-10% with an overswing of at least 1.0% but not more than 1.5% are not fully met.

The overswing, because damping is not so tightly controlled but allowed to spread within normal design restraints, can vary between deadbeat to 5%. To specify the dynamic characteristics in terms of time to 99% of 0vu under such circumstances would give an unrepresentative measure of the speed of response. For this reason the time to reach -3vu with a steady reading of reference deflection (0vu) has been taken as a more realistic measure.

The following comparison can be made based on a rise time to -3vu with steady deflection of 0vu:

Conventional vu meter 0.13 - 0.15 seconds

AL19 0.14 - 0.18 seconds

Did the meter stop working or have you never seen it work?

Perhaps troubleshoot for broken wire or worse. Do you measure anything with a VOM?

JR

I have this SIFAM VU METER that isn't really working. I tried to put a signal with the 3,9k resistor in series but nothing moves. Is it possible that the rectifiers are damaged ?

The needle of the instrument is in a very unnatural position, it is probably mechanically blocked or even the movable system is damaged. Newer instruments have a very sensitive suspension system and I have already had several cases of damage that could not be repaired.
Open the instrument and check if the needle can move freely or is stuck somewhere.

Those sure were not cheap. Before opening it up...

Did you buy and receive it in that condition ? If so, maybe contact them first.
Otherwise, can it be somehow mechanically fixed ?

Those sure were not cheap. Before opening it up...

Did you buy and receive it in that condition ? If so, maybe contact them first.
Otherwise, can it be somehow mechanically fixed ?
I think the AL29 was the cheap model in the Sifam range. Used to cost about £30 U.K. The expensive ones were like the ones in this pic I ,with a much bigger motor unit on the back.1652779726927.png

Latest posts

Back