Urei 1178

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theRog

I've put together an Urei 1178 just now and would like to share my knowledge to anyone interested.

Let me know if you need anything like KiCAD PCB or front plate design.

Unfortunately I didn't know that the 5566 dual fet was still available when I finished the pcb, so I decided to do a layout for two normal fet's and realized that without changing resistor values the ratios wouldn't work properly....

But it's fairly easy to put the IFN5566 into one place and wire it the other footprint ;-)

Cheers Roger

Attachments

• 1178 front.jpg
    1178 front.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 1178 inside.jpg
    1178 inside.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 177
Nice. Looks like a clean build and the ground wiring is actually correct.

But I would use a mains line filter and slightly twist the AC bundles so that hey have no space between them for fields to escape.

I'm assuming the 5566 is Q7A/B, right, taking the place of the two 2n5457s? (Or I guess more accurately, the other way around). Aside from the footprint, is that just a drop-in replacement?

Yes, a drop-in replacement. I put the IFN5566 into channel one (Q7A) and used three thin wires to channel 2 (Q7B). Works like a charm ;-)

Curious as to what you did for the attack pot on this. I'm seriously considering giving this project a go, but that's one of my reservations. The only place I've seen a dual B25k pot with the right style of off switch is studioelectronics.biz, and they want $120 USD for it!!! o_O

EDIT: Looking more closely at the pictures, I think that maybe you just decided to forego the switch, eh? Does that create any problems for calibration? (I know that I've had to turn the attack to "off" when calibrating 1176s before, but never done a 78).

Yes indeed I just used a pot without switch as I use it on a desk with INSERT switch or use an INSERT plugin in the DAW. So no use for an OFF switch on the front of the 1178.
Of course it is needed for calibration purposes therefore I put a jumper on the PCB for that ;-)

I've put together an Urei 1178 just now and would like to share my knowledge to anyone interested.

Let me know if you need anything like KiCAD PCB or front plate design.

Unfortunately I didn't know that the 5566 dual fet was still available when I finished the pcb, so I decided to do a layout for two normal fet's and realized that without changing resistor values the ratios wouldn't work properly....

But it's fairly easy to put the IFN5566 into one place and wire it the other footprint ;-)

Cheers Roger
Hi Roger,
Would love to pick your brain about this a bit more and maybe take a peak at your Kicad and front panel files! Thanks.

Back