[JLI-3412] Current board not working looking for directions.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scool

TLDR: I'm new to electronics AND building microphones. I bought a cheap Chinese microphone that I am replacing with a JLI-3412 and the board doesn't support it (assumedly wrong impedance rating). Want to know if the board listed in a link below will work and if there is anything I might be missing or should know. Currently the OP-Amp chip listed for this board is out of stock for another 8+ months, SO if this is the route I take (build my own board) I need to know what an alternative could be for it to work.

This is my first time ever getting into electronics and such and I knew that you could build your own microphone for sometime, but never really tried it until recently. I don't really know what I'm doing to be honest, but I figured I would try to get this working either through a new board or if there is something I can maybe do to the current one to get this thing working.

Original microphone was an "Uhuru XM900" basically a BM800 that I bought from a kit of Amazon a year ago. I decided to buy a JLI-3412 and replace the cheap 16mm capsule it came with. I assumed it most likely wouldn't work with what it has, but I tried it none the less. It 'technically' worked in a way, there was a lot of white noise and I turned everything up on my mixer (Input +10, Gain +10, Low Mid and High EQ Bands +15). What I heard was a ton of white noise and a slightly intelligible tinny voice in the background.

I started reading up on stuff and it seems to be there are many problems mainly the impedance is not what it should be. Excuse me if I'm not using terms correctly but there seems to be a FET implemented on the previous capsule and the JLI-3412 is Fet-less so I need a board with an impedance converter.

I'm thinking of ordering some PCBs from the listing in this instructable to build a board that will run this capsule, BUT the problem is the OP-Amp chip listed is not available for another 8+ months so if there are any OP-Amp chips that will work with this board that is in the form factor of SOIC-8 that would be great to know. And if there is anything else I should know a short or wordily response would be greatly appreciated.(I would like to get into electronics and maybe mic building as a hobby, but I don't know where to start and what I need to know. So a point in the right direction would be helpful.):)

https://www.instructables.com/OPA-Based-Alice-Microphones-a-Cardioid-and-a-Figur/
PCB: Dual OPA "Alice" Microphone Circuit - Share Project - PCBWay
Capsule: JLI-3412
IMG_20220401_182459.jpgIMG_20220328_162907.jpg

AliExpress has the IC, we’ve had luck with them. I’ve used them. I’ve also used the boards from Pcbway. There is another gent making these boards to fit other formats, just search microphone on there to find them.

You list your location as 'Earth' - which is not very specific? ....
Be aware that - if you're not in the US - then shipping costs of some of these PCBs from US suppliers can be pretty steep...

Last edited:
I think you have a defective 3412 - I have a couple of those and they work perfectly in every FET circuit I've tried them in - nothing unusual about them.

Back