USA 2020 census

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

With all the current mayhem going on I hadn't thought much about the census until recently when I received a couple of "nastygram" letters from the commissars (lol) in charge.  They were complaining I hadn't responded, but I could log onto their website with a code number to answer the questions.

I soon received another set of forms with almost threatening BIG LETTERS printed on the face of the envelope.

YOUR RESPONSE IS REQUIRED BY LAW

Yeah, yeah whatever so I filled out the info (as if they didn't already have it) and mailed it today.

Punchline:  I just found the original mailing stuck inside of the current Consumer Reports mag I had set aside a week or two ago.  Guess I need to be sure to shake that mag before setting it aside !

ANYWAY.....  I wonder how screwed up the 2020 census will be with all the current chaos????

Bri

I got two threatening letters. they know who lives at my place, just me. Anyway I filled it out online and have the record of doing so. should be enough to satisfy them.

I wasn't too worried about being prosecuted as much as.....

How screwed up will the census numbers be during these....ahhhhh....odd times?

Bri

PS, maybe KS will have more residents via the census than NY or CA! 

not

Thanks for reminding me! I just did it online and it took 6 minutes.

Got a UUID confirmation number at the end. Out of curiosity I wondered if it had any encoded data like MAC address but no. It appears to be completely random. Not even a timestamp.

That sounds like a real low blow with everything else thats going on ,do people really need the stress of BIG BROTHER trying to scare  them sh!tless at a time like this? 
In Ireland in recent census's we've seen them demand more and more intrusive information. Tying this whole census thing to online allows them gather an even more vast amount of data , not simply what you put in the form itself .
NEVER TRUST THE POWER, more relevant than ever before in our brave new world.

This is not my first census at this address, but first time I did not get a form in the mail...(not stuck in a magazine). 

Usually the government hires a massive army of door to door pollsters (an opportunity to spread some political manna)., probably inappropriate to create so much human contact in the heat of a pandemic.

Who do I tell that I'm a citizen?  (rhetorical).

JR

PS: I have had a long running struggle with the USPS because I get my mail in a PO Box, they do not recognize my street address. If the census form was addressed to my house (street address) the post office may have returned it. A year ago my home insurance was cancelled for non payment because after 30 years the USPS declined to deliver the bill addressed to me at my home's actual address. Luckily they did deliver the insurance cancellation notice and I got it sorted, but without that notice it would have lapsed.  I need to ask my neighbors in similar POB situations whether they received their census forms this year.

JohnRoberts said:
PS: I have had a long running struggle with the USPS because I get my mail in a PO Box, they do not recognize my street address.
That's because USPS actually doesn't have a database of "correct" addresses for each location. They just scan the addresses of stuff and build a validation database of likely addresses. That database is largely used to detect mail that needs to be forwarded when someone moves. But it also has "leaked" to mail validation services like when you try to "validate" your address with the cable company or with some larger retailers. So it's because you use a PO they haven't collected enough data to recognize your street address. You can't just tell them what your address is. You could send yourself a bunch of mail periodically with one clear consistent address on all of it. After a while that should train their validation database.

squarewave said:
That's because USPS actually doesn't have a database of "correct" addresses for each location. They just scan the addresses of stuff and build a validation database of likely addresses. That database is largely used to detect mail that needs to be forwarded when someone moves. But it also has "leaked" to mail validation services like when you try to "validate" your address with the cable company or with some larger retailers. So it's because you use a PO they haven't collected enough data to recognize your street address. You can't just tell them what your address is. You could send yourself a bunch of mail periodically with one clear consistent address on all of it. After a while that should train their validation database.

:eek: :eek: :eek:  Thanks I didn't realize it was so f'n simple (must be more of my sloppy thinking).  ::) You would think after 30 years they might have figured it out by now? I have been wrestling with them that long.

Perhaps amusing story, several years after I bought my house back in the mid 80s, I received a notice that my house and property was being auctioned off to pay outstanding county tax liens....  I was receiving and paying the local town tax bill, but did not know that there was a separate county tax bill. Thankfully the USPS managed to deliver the auction notice to my POB, so I was able to personally visit the tax office, pay my back taxes in full, then strongly request that they actually send me the tax bills in the future (I was a little angry). In the decades since that they have combined the town and county tax billing into a single bill, that I get.  Back in the day the local postmaster who pretty much knows everybody in this small town would deliver our street addressed mail into our PO Box no problemo. Now this level of personal service has evaporated.

Regarding the USPS database, it is not leaked but actually sold (licensed) to other shippers (like fedex/UPS) to use for address verification (I have talked to them too and they were not helpful). This conundrum causes no end of grief when web merchants inform me that my address does not exist. This gets even funnier (not hah ha funny :mad: ) when they inform me that they are not allowed to deliver to my PO box, while depending solely on the USPS address data base for addresses (catch-22  ::) )   

There is an alternate E911 address data base where street addresses are assigned logically (geographically) to make it easier for first responders to find locations using just those house numbers. The USPS does not care.

I have been waiting for the USPS to close down this small PO in nowhere MS, but so far they haven't. If they close down I could put up a mail box like normal people and get delivery.  But I live across the street from the PO which is why I inherited the PO Box  when I bought this house. A number of my nearby neighbors are in the same situation.  I probably should go ahead and build a mail box. Back in the 80s the postmaster would put my WSJ into my box by 7:30AM or sooner. This gave me time to read the front page with my morning coffee and still be in my office (7 miles up the road) by 8AM, now the low service postmistress doesn't put my newspaper into my box until 9:30AM or so...  Being across the street from the PO I would actually get my paper delivered by the carrier sooner (assuming they deliver me first, not last).

A work around the new postmistress doesn't hassle me about is to fudge my street address by adding #297 (my PO box number) to the end of my actual street address  (7489 Hwy 503 #297). Otherwise they put the mail in my box and sticker it telling me to inform the sender of my PO box, or just return it to sender as undeliverable (like my insurance and tax bills).  I kind of expected the census forms to come stickered, but apparently they just deep sixed them all. 

This makes me angry because IMO the USPS and e911 address databases should be syncronized. If I installed a mail box, I could save the PO Box rent, and probably get my mail sooner... hmmmmmmm.  8)

JR

PS: For some more funny business (not ha ha funny) related to the E911 addresses, some web map services interpolate street addresses from known references, logically assuming similar numbers would be located nearby.  I just checked and mapquest still  shows my physical street address almost a mile south of actual and on the other side of town. No doubt a quirk of the street numbering that stops and starts up again on the other side of town.  I have to warn delivery services not to use mapquest and sometimes see them first driving past my house and then back again.  8)  Google and other map services locate me accurately, while I haven't checked them all.

JohnRoberts said:
Regarding the USPS database, it is not leaked but actually sold (licensed) to other shippers (like fedex/UPS) to use for address verification (I have talked to them too and they were not helpful).
USPS is very cagey about this whole topic. I managed to get the postmaster of one of NJ's larges cities on the phone to resolve an issue with poorly addressed mail piling up in one building of a 100+ unit condo complex. The addresses where all the "validated" ones but very wrong (it was almost always some permutation of "BLDG 9, #9" regardless of what building you were in or unit number). He would not freely admit that there was any "database" at all. And yet of course there is. He requested that I send them a spreadsheet with proper addresses. But he stressed that residents would also need to instruct senders to use the proper address or, over time, delivery could start to fail again. After 20 minutes on the phone talking about it (and how mail gets forwarded when someone moves by scanning and then adding the little yellow sticker), a little programmer logic made it clear that they were just doing a simple sampling cache of sorts. He could inject data but it wouldn't persist if the scanners record too much conflicting information. I must admit that it's not a completely asinine way to do it. It saves a lot of error prone work. Incidentally I also asked him specifically if they "license" the (non-existant) database to retailers, the cable company, etc. Total denial. I figured it was just being leaked.

squarewave said:
USPS is very cagey about this whole topic. I managed to get the postmaster of one of NJ's larges cities on the phone to resolve an issue with poorly addressed mail piling up in one building of a 100+ unit condo complex. The addresses where all the "validated" ones but very wrong (it was almost always some permutation of "BLDG 9, #9" regardless of what building you were in or unit number). He would not freely admit that there was any "database" at all. And yet of course there is. He requested that I send them a spreadsheet with proper addresses. But he stressed that residents would also need to instruct senders to use the proper address or, over time, delivery could start to fail again. After 20 minutes on the phone talking about it (and how mail gets forwarded when someone moves by scanning and then adding the little yellow sticker), a little programmer logic made it clear that they were just doing a simple sampling cache of sorts. He could inject data but it wouldn't persist if the scanners record too much conflicting information. I must admit that it's not a completely asinine way to do it. It saves a lot of error prone work. Incidentally I also asked him specifically if they "license" the (non-existant) database to retailers, the cable company, etc. Total denial. I figured it was just being leaked.
Calling them cagey is unusually generous.... They are a huge bureaucracy marginally competent.  Talking to my local postmaster and her boss was a waste of time...  I have also tried to contact USPS through their website and no love despite me having an active shipping account with them. 

I learned what I did about them selling/sharing the USPS database was from trying resolve address issues with web merchants. I believe it was FEDEX but maybe UPS or both who provide a merchant website application that checks and tries to auto correct addresses while they are being entered on the merchants website...  Since my street address does not exist in the USPS data base the app only generates bad address errors but most websites ultimately allow me to override and enter my correct address (I suspect it is not a unique problem...) I know my neighbors have similar issues with web orders. Occasionally I just give up and order the merch elsewhere.

I think I got an answer from UPS (I also have a business shipping account with them) and they pretty much said they had to use the USPS database verbatim and could not enter my correct address, despite both UPS and FEDEX delivering to my house for over 3 decades.

Ironically there is a shipping service where fedex or UPS  trucks deliver the package to the local PO for last mile delivery... Oh what a tangled web they weaved.

The more I think about this I need to build a mail box... one of those robust brick ones that will trash Bubba's pickup truck if he tries to knock it down.  Unfair is the mailbox pedestals with an iron I-beam concealed behind some fragile fluff to fool the fools.

JR

You can directly query the USPS address validation database using the "Zip Code Lookup" tool here:

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress

I know this is doing more than just regurgitating what I put in because if I deliberately change info to be slightly wrong it corrects it (or lists multiple entries with varying levels of correctness if I push it too far).

The snow-plow will destroy your mailbox.

There are rules (may be Law) how strong roadside obstacles can be. Mailbox can be a wood 4x4. If you must use a 6x6 there is a prescribed notch so it will break-off non-fatally.

squarewave said:
You can directly query the USPS address validation database using the "Zip Code Lookup" tool here:

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress

I know this is doing more than just regurgitating what I put in because if I deliberately change info to be slightly wrong it corrects it (or lists multiple entries with varying levels of correctness if I push it too far).

f'n USPS response said:
Unfortunately, this information wasn't found. Please double-check it and try again.

Yes they made it red to irritate me even more...

JR

PRR said:
The snow-plow will destroy your mailbox.

There are rules (may be Law) how strong roadside obstacles can be. Mailbox can be a wood 4x4. If you must use a 6x6 there is a prescribed notch so it will break-off non-fatally.
Probably not down here in nowhere MS, but I will check the law... I wasn't going to hide an I-beam inside, while I find the concept a little amusing. It has been done I understand, typically after losing a couple normal mailboxes to the rednecks.

I expect a substantial brick structure will discourage bubba from wrecking daddy's truck. Even Bubba won't aim for a pile of bricks.

JR

PS: Never saw a snow plow in MS, don't think I ever will.

JohnRoberts said:
Probably not down here in nowhere MS, but I will check the law... I wasn't going to hide an I-beam inside, while I find the concept a little amusing. It has been done I understand, typically after losing a couple normal mailboxes to the rednecks.

I expect a substantial brick structure will discourage bubba from wrecking daddy's truck. Even Bubba won't aim for a pile of bricks.

JR

PS: Never saw a snow plow in MS, don't think I ever will.
per USPS website
USPS said:
The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:
A 4″ x 4″ wooden support or a 2″-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.

Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).

Bury your post no more than 24″ deep.
At the recommended 41-45" from the paved road surface my mailbox post will just about be in my rain ditch... they also say 6"-8" from the curb and I don't have a curb so may need to ask a local carrier about what works for them.

Looks like a brick superstructure is not advised, while I have seen one or two around town in response to miscreants knocking down standard boxes.

====

I asked my postmaster about census forms and she confirmed my suspicion that none came through for delivery to PO Boxes, for any of my neighbors.

JR

> farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).

Oh, I would not do that! I use a large oil-burner firebox filled with rocks.

We had a car miss a deer and take out two boxes then into the woods. Middle of a cold night. Lucky someone saw her. This was before my rock-box.

Yes, the setback really should allow the mailtruck to get out of the traffic lane; here that would be IN the ditch. I could support a mailbox over that ditch (it doesn't get wet), but this road shoulder is all live sand from winter and it won't support people or vehicles.

You can buy large plastic "rocks". Around here, people know what a rock is and try to miss. May look funny in your geology.

In the last UK census there was a section where people were invited to list their religion if any. Apparently a very large number of people wrote Jedi Knight. So many people did this that it is now an recognised religion in the UK.

Cheers

Ian

I just completed my 2020 census online since the post office is not going to deliver me or my neighbor's forms, I'll let someone else make up an appropriate conspiracy theory about us slipping through the cracks (I suspect there are more across the country in a similar situation).

They didn't ask my religion, or whether I was a citizen, pretty painless.

JR

Back