Usefull stuff to 3d-print? (sending out free models)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrioN

I have access to a bunch of 3d-printers. But what to make? Any ideas? Thinking of making some PCB L-brackets, but thats about it.
I'll happely send out some free models to anyone giving me a drawing.
Note: I have only access to these printers to the end of this month.

For DIY audio hobbyist it seems custom knobs are a winner.

The plastic media is a little limiting but they are already making metal 3D printers. 3D printing can change the world regarding obsolete mechanical parts.... 

Now we need a 3D printer for making obsolete ICs (it could happen, but not for a while).

JR 

Hi Nicolas,

I might be in the same situation like you as I have access to three Ultimakers at my day job.
Recently, I have been lurking around at thingiverse.com to look for printable objects.

So far I didn't come along any DIY audio related stuff  :(

But I thought about printing some overlays for 500 series front panels. So that one
would only have to drill the cut-outs for potentiometers and such. All the engraving
and fancy stuff would be done via a 3D printed overlay.

I hope I will find some time this year to do some tests with my idea.
So basically use the printer for mechanical stuff 8)

Cheers,
Carsten

Knobs I have printed a ton off. But the finish even at the highest resolution isn't as smooth as molded ones, naturaly.

If someone can give me a drawing of the capsule mount, I'll send some  printed ones free of charge, and sell the rest cheap.

I only have access to these (two makerbot replicator 2) for two more weeks.

Huge knob:

Attachments

• knobs.jpg
    knobs.jpg
    82.8 KB
Back