Uses for Collins Input Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portersage

Hey all, I came into a handful of these old Collins / Rockwell frequency generator modules, and am hoping to use the transformers for something. The input is 1.5k:60k and output (I think) is 27k:600. Does anyone have any ideas for any tube based projects these might work in? I’m pretty new to doing scratch builds, so pardon my ignorance to things like this.
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    950.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
1st step is to see if response is substantially better than quoted.
Ah for sure, definitely a good call. I did wire one up into a tube mic preamp I built recently just to see what it did. The 600:27k does work at the input (but is very quiet, since the circuit is based on different values), it’s definitely very dark sounding, but I also kinda dig that. I like funky sounds, so by no means looking for the highest fidelity possible. I’ll try and hook up a scope to see what the response actually is though.

Scope them. Lots of military/aviation transformers are made for or marked for very limited speech oriented transmission. They may be full range but marked lesser to meet a particular specification- or they may be wound to stink at full range, actually matching the specs to save money. Try different power levels when you test.

Latest posts

Back