UTC Y-6431 Fairchild Control Input Massacre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
Some would call this horrifying, others will shake their heads with dis belief.  ???

how could anybody take apart one of the last pieces of recording history,  :eek:

with such brutal force and indiscriminate taste?  :-\

well, if you have been around awhile, you know that this happens more often than not,

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

2iuss92.jpg

the ol canon powershot a-10 must have swallowed too much xfmr dust,

but this used a410 is killer! better than my old cam,

and only 15 bucks on craigs list!

ok, close up of one of the coils: those leads are not the fine wire, they connect to the fine wire, it is all about heat control when soldering hair wire>

j7uemv.jpg

header plate, inside>
colors are top: L to R>  Red - Brn/Wht -  Brn - Red/Wht
bottom: L to R>  Grn/Wht  - Blk  - Blk/Wht -  Grn

2my6w4h.jpg

header plate - top>

2zfmpz4.jpg

here is the mu can, in a hopeless state of dis repair
once you bend mu metal, it is shot to h*ll, won't shield as good,

2q1v29u.jpg

zwxbtj.jpg

splice>

sl5mhi.jpg

dbiekl.jpg

inter layer insl>

qp19fs.jpg

this is probably not good...
2a7wv4p.jpg

That's a new height on CJ's sickness!  Good work!  More details!!!

One interesting thing, relates to the time frame.  Only other place I've seen that particular UTC case is the RCA BA-11A output transformer.  That one uses a hermetic seal for the pins. 

thanks! the only thing left on my plate before i croak is the S= 217- D,

this guy was #2 on the all time xfmr hit list, so it was a real rush,  ;D

this is an easy wind, 500 turns pri, 4800 tuns sec,

no interleaving or sectioning, only one shield,

i will do a master blueprint on this thing...

all the numbers match doc hoyer's take apart exactly, except i would call the lam stack

7/16  in. instead of 15/32, utc just lets the lams flop around, so you have to squeeze..

and the math bears this out, 0.014 mil times 32 lams = 0.448 in.

7/16 = 0.4375, so even 7/16 in is generous,

Nah, you've hit transformer nirvana only after you tear down a WE 618-B and 197-A.  That'd be a real lucky patch to find donors on those two!  But these will do!!!

WOW :eek:, you picked a nice one for your come-back tour! It's good to see that you're back to your evil ways.

CJ,

This might be a bit off topic, but I follow as many of these transformer postings as I can.

Q1: Can open coils be repaired or are they a complete loss ?

Q2: open coils caused by current surge ?

I have a 4665 octal pinout - K241D , pins 7-8 no output or resistance. 3-4 tied, input on 1-6(600ohm)

A auction seller ( not from this community) tried to give me the slip in a batch hoping I would'nt catch it - wrong move. Now it seems the seller is sudenly email shy. Nice to have learned enough on this forum about iron to keep the junk peddlers in check.

funny, i fixed a k-241-d that had a broken hookup wire from the terminal to the coil,

so if you are lucky, the break is not burried somewhere in the secondary layers,

but, there are two lids that have to come off, if you have the same shielding i did,

Biasrocks said:
Most of audiophile used them for MC step up .The best MC transformers ever made

F'in audiopiles driving prices up!

from another site:
...for those audiophile enthusiast who are presently using...a moving coil (MC) phono cartridge in order to enhance their stereo LP vinyl playback performance.
Why don't they just get a CD player?  :p

I do cringe a bit when I see your work, CJ.  Can you also wind stuff? I saw your winder in the other thread. Someone mentioned the HA100 ??  Would love to see a CJ thread in one of the black (or white) markets.

that's a tough one to do if you do it right,

there are two wires of #41 going on there at the same time, and a Lot of it!

so your chances of breaking a wire double with those things,

i bet there was a whole dumpster full of broken a-10 coils,

not always the winders fault, the wire could have a weak spot,

it was a real art, they had a whole room full of people winding those dang things,

but that is what makes it that more exciting to try, the difficulty rating.

so in kayaking, the ha-100x would be a Class 5 wind,

in rock climbing, it would be a 5.11d,

in mortorcycle riding, it would would just be motorcycle riding, because it is all deadly,  :D :mad: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

speaking of dead, jim carrol died last week,

he did that song, "all the people that died, died," remember that?, only 3 lp's.

anybody have a good chord set for girl from impanema<

don't tell me to use a capo,  ;)

Back