Vari-mu oscillations, problems and questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strych

Hello, I've just registered here after reading a lot of helpful topics. At the beginning I want to apologize for my possible mistakes, as I'm good at reading in English, but haven't wrote anythig for a long time.

I'm working on vari-mu compressor based on 6386 tubes. It might sounds weird but I have limited budget (when i bought 6386 i didn't know that I will need so many expensive parts to build good vari-mu). I have input and output transformer and want to economize on interstage. So there is most up-to date schematic, there was very much other versions.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/91-P9C7283eRbKVS0DTSvXEp_PJAXbbwiYui8xLWXTA?feat=directlink

So now I'll describe my attemps to build working circuit and my considerations. First, I'm aware of limitations of this approach (attack time). Two miliseconds will be good for me, and with cathode followers it is possible I think. I checked rise time at C7 with open feedback loop and it was something near two miliseconds.

I started with simple cirucuit with 6386 in first stage, then 12AX7 with gain about 50 times and unbypassed cathode, and at end cathode follower on ECC88. Cathode follower is the same for all versions just as full wave rectifier. So there were two coupling caps. With this configuration I was not able to get rid of constant low frequency oscillations (from tenth to several Hertz), which were appearing just after warm up and with no input signal. They disappeared only when time constants of coupling caps and grid resistors differed several thousand times (3dB frequency about 1Hz and 15kHz). But such a circuit makes no sense. Now I'll describe how I'm seeing it. First stage is inverting and the same next stage. So, signal feeding rectifier and then filtering cap is in phase with input signal. For high frequencies it doesn't matter, but for very low freqs when ripples on cap are growing, grids of 6386 are supplied by signal which is in phase with input, and it makes positive feedback. I don't know if this is right thinking, though there are circuits with this topology (Altec 436, Collins 356) so what makes them stable?

So I added one more inverting stage and now it was looking something like CCA LA1D. With this topology I hadn't problems with low frequency oscillations after warm up and no input signal. They was appearing when I was switching on generator and the amplitude depended on input signal level, time constants of coupling caps (now three) and grid resistors, and gain of sidechain amp. I've noticed that more gain in sidechain - more problems with oscillations. Sometimes they was appearing with small input levels and dissappearing when input signal was high, and sometimes inversely. I'm talking now about constant oscillations, but there was either fading out ones when input signal level was changing. I read about feedback stability in RDH and there's my conclusions:
1. To make amp with feedback stable, slope on attenuation characteristic when gain is more than one shouldn't be more than 12dB/oct and phase shift shouldn't cross 180 degrees.
2. We have for example three stage amp with 48dB gain and we want 50Hz 3dB frequency. Remebering that slope shouldn't be more than 12dB/oct, only way to achieve that is one stage with narrow bandwitch and two with wider. One coupling cap with grid resistor has slope only 6dB/oct so we must go down eight octaves (or a bit more) to set 3dB freq (about 0.2Hz) of remaining two stages with wider bandwitch to avoid to rapid slope? It would require big caps or big grid resistors.
3. There are step circuits which can help shape phase characteristics but I don't know yet how calculate them to be effective.

It seems to me, that I'm wrong, though CCA LA1D has this topology and is stable with much less differences in time constants of coupling caps.

It's all for now, it's time to sleep. But I will have more questions. I have hope, that my text is understandable :)

hi strych and welcome to the forum. this is a hard starter (?) for you. 
your circuit has holes in it. bigg ones. and im wondering if youve maybe corrected a few things and can post it again. i think maybe no-one's replied because of that. the circuit needs so much help u see. and time. 

but you are on a path and we all want to help.

i 4 one reckon u could make something more like a GATES STA - LEVEL  or PHILLIPS EV4OO1 or EV4006  with your 6386 tube tho.

gates-sta-level1.jpg

limdiagram2.jpg

you say you have in & output trafos.  what's their details? . if the output one does not like to party with twin 6V6's  then we could maybe arrange it different like the ev4401 or other.
im sure someones done that around here. please chime in. how many other ways to use a 6386?

Thanks for response. I'm not new in electronic, this is my hobby for about ten years. I've built some devices but yes, I'm new with that sort of equipment. To be clear, the schematic that I placed is not a target circuit that I want to use. It's only simple version for testing purposes (I've made a kind of breadboard on which i can mount different circuits very fast), so it is incomplete. I should told that earlier. Adding full funcionality shouldn't be a problem, I think can handle it, in particular, that there are so many threads about it on this forum. So there are that big holes in my circuit (no meter, threshold, attack/realase, input and output level control) whether it is something else?

I have input trafo Sowter 3575 and output - Sowter 4383, so it fits actually only for cathode follower. I should tell now what I planned to do. I wanted to 6386 fed sidechain amp (without interstage) and simultaneously gain make up amp, terminated by cathode follower with Sowter 4383. Actually I haven't seen anywhere such a solution so it's probably bad. Could you tell me why, if it is so? Will this affect speed of compressor? And next question - it is possible to make good vari-mu only with these trafos? If it is wrong solution I will not insist and I'm ready to incur additional costs.

Ok, it's to hard for me with this circuit. Anyway i'm still courious why CCA LA1D is stable, and my circuit don't. In the meantime I've added step circuit from RDH and then finally there were no oscillations but compressor is now very slow. I should have started from something easier. So now I want make something like PRR vari-mu. I would like to ask for help in choosing interstage/output trafo. I don't want to make mistake. Next question may be trivial, but I must ask: should transformer connected as in PRR vari-mu tolerate some dc imbalance? In thread about it I read, that OEP A262A7E should be fine, but what if there is any dc imbalance between halves of first stage? In datasheet is written: "Don't pass DC through windings". I wondered if maybe sowter 9041 or 9042 would be good?  Maybe another sowter? Here link to specification:
http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/9041.htm

Back