WARNING! MCI JH-110C remote wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I am posting this (a bit long-winded.......) same info at several internet sites where MCI recorder owners (or new wannabies <g>) seem to visit.

Backstory.  In 1984, I was on staff as Chief Engineer at a studio here in Okla. City, and we added two new MCI ("Sony badged" by that time) JH-110C stereo recorders.  One was a 1/4" and the other a 1/2" machine.  We also ordered two of the "full function" remote control units which provided transport and audio electronics control, remote control for the RTZ locator, etc.  I personally unpacked and installed both of the new recorders.

Approx. 4 years ago, the original studio sold both machines to another local studio, which then sold the machines to the current owner.  However, the two remotes/cabling stayed at the original studio with their promise "you can have those remotes when we unearth the cabling out of the floor troughs at some future time."

Maybe a year ago, I finally extracted the remote control cabling from beneath 25 years of OTHER accumulated cabling inside of the floor troughs during a complete "gut and rebuild" at the original studio, and I delivered the remotes/cables to the current owner of the recorders.  Eventually, the current owner decided to string the remote cables from the 1/2" deck in his machine room and into the control room, and connect everything up.

KABOOM.  I was called in, and could smell burnt parts, and found the AC mains 4 Amp fuse in the PSU was blown.  The burnt parts were on the Phase Lock Loop (capstan servo) card...several TL081 opamps.  I was totally stumped how those chips were burned, since the remote control box has little/nothing to do with the PLL board.

On another recent service call, I carefully checked the cables and connectors on both remote units for shorts, etc, and GINGERLY connected the remotes to the decks.  Absolutely no problems, so I told the guys to re-string the cables.  They did that today, and....

KABOOM.  Studio owner was understandably irate with me, so I scurried back over there.  Same story...blown 4A fuse, etc.  They had disconnected the remote cables from the deck before I arrived, so I asked how the cables had been connected when it crapped  out.

PUNCHLINE.  The remote cabling has a 24-pin Cinch-Jones/Beau connector for the transport control functions, and that plugs into its own UNIQUE socket at the bottom of the transport.  In addition, two cables extend from the remote control box and each terminates into a 10-pin Beau connector; those are to be plugged into the rear of the audio electronics drawers in the overbridge.  See this snapshot showing the remote with the two 10-pin Beau connectors peeking out of the wire harness:

http://brianroth.com/library/mci-jh110c-remote.jpg

(One 10-pin Beau connector controls ready/safe/input/repro, etc. for tracks 1/2 while the second Beau is for tracks 3/4 if those audio channels are present.)

IN THEIR INFINITE WISDOM (?), MCI also used a 10-pin Beau socket down on the transport to provide some of the required interconnects to an external SMPTE/whatever sync unit.  I had never paid much attention to the extra Beau connectors down on the transport since I never had to lock-up the decks.

Plug the 10-pin Beau plug from the remote control unit into the 'SERVO' socket on the transport, and Bad Things happen!

Silly me...I had always ASSumed that MCI used unique connectors for all "external" hookups, and in fact I had never noticed that "rattlesnake" after almost 30 years of being around those two decks.  Shrug...I just knew the 10-pin Beau should be plugged into the audio electronics unit in the overbridge, and sadly, the current owner just HAPPENED to see a matching/wrong function 10-pin Beau socket down in the transport.

WHAT WAS MCI THINKING?HuhHuh  Those connectors fall into the "hook it up into the rest of the studio" realm, and all SHOULD have been unique.  Hmmmmm...I also wonder why MCI didn't just use an XLR-3 audio connector for the AC mains power inlet instead of an IEC AC mains power connector......JUST KIDDING!!!

rattlesnakes.....

Siiiigh..after 40 years working with Pro Studio gear, I still find myself saying "WTF was (so and so) thinking when they designed this???"  Not just MCI...but plenty of other Guilty Parties as well.

Best,

(long winded) Bri

That's definitely the bit about analog technology which I don't miss.
There was a reason why the better places had staff techs back then, and no matter how bad a plugin fucks up nowadys, it's never going to burn down the house. I don't miss tape machines catching fire, hex-programming synchronizers, tapes disintegrating and so on, but for sure the stuff still sounds great  :)

Michael

Thanks for the insight.    There's nothing like buying some old analog gear for a mojo experience and then smell that burnt electronics smell like napalm in the morning to ruin your day.

A studio I use to work for bought a MCI 110C 1/2" from another facility back in 2008.  It was a mix machine for a blues record for a local artist I was engineering for.  We used 24track Otari and MCI 1/2" analog start to finish.  The machine had a few issues to work out from setting without use back then , but everything came together when I  realigned the transport and electronics.    I guess being a Tech and engineer, I looked for the labels on the plugs for the remote and didn't just patch matching connections thank god.  But I honestly don't remember doing anything but patching connects in.

I will pass this information on to the old studio.  The people left are all digital only types.   

One last note.  I used protools everyday for 2 decades now and was resistant to do a complete analog recording.  But I have to admit it came out real good and was surprised how fast the album mixed without automation.  I guess it is blues and so not very complicated.  But I'm glad I went through the ups and downs of analog again after all those years away from it.  It was worth the effort.  Now if we could just get good tape with out spending a fortune. 

Latest posts

Back