What are these London riots really about?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thermionic said:
Duggan didn't fire, but he did have a Hechler and Koch gun on his person - not something you use at the school rifle range, is it?

But there are reports that the gun was actually found in a sock so not in preparation to be fired. 
Granted, it is illegal for a civilian to own a pistol in the U.K., unless it is an old 'cap and ball' shooter, but we still don't know what his criminal background may have been or if he had any criminal intent when he was shot.

However,  the reports we got from the Metropolitan Police Department were predictable: 
The "suspect", Mr Duggan, had fired first at the police.  A police officer was a hero because he had been saved when Duggan's bullet had hit his radio.  We were supposed to feel that Mark Duggan and his family were not even worth any sympathy. 
And the media immediately jump on this and brand Duggan a "gangster".  Where did they get these reports from? The M.P.D.
Other than establishing whether Duggan was indeed a "gangster" or not, we have now learned that this is not what appears to have actually happened.  We were spoon fed misinformation.  Why?

Remember, Dick Fedorcio, the Metropolitan's head of communications has already been put on exstensive leave because of allegations of Gross Misconduct. 

Of course, a great many who looted and sacked in the aftermath couldn't have cared less about Duggan.

I could be wrong in my opinions here but it just doesn't smell right to me.  If it was not manipulation of the facts by the M.P.D. communications department, then it shows incompetence by the Police Officers in question as regards their ability to recall the events as they actually occured.  Surely this is police training 101...

You can't organize large groups of the disenfranchised.

> the gun was actually found in a sock so not in preparation to be fired.

?? A sock buried in a knapsack? Or the sock on his foot?

A gun in your sock is a classic way to evade casual weapon-check. If you believe western fiction, all gamblers had a gun in their sock to protect their position in a "no guns" game. Yes it is not as quick as a belt-holster... OTOH it can be more convenient if a need arises and you are laying under the table on your holster.

I thought I would clarify this for those who don't know the law in the UK.

Unlike many other countries, the police here do not routinely carry firearms.
Armed police can be called to an incident when it is believed that a suspect is armed.
I don't know the details - it sounds like nobody does - but there must have been some reason for armed police to have been called to the scene.

PRR said:
?? A sock buried in a knapsack? Or the sock on his foot?

PRR, it was not clarified on the news report I saw but the implication was 'not in the one his foot'.  It could be that this is rumour?
I'm sure the police had reason to be carrying weapons but, to release the story they did?

The Metropolitan haven't had the best press recently.
Besides the resigning of the two most senior chiefs following allegations of obstruction of justice and misshandling of affairs surrounding the Murdoch/News International/phone hacks thing, and, more recently, the extended leave of the press communications chief:

Smiley Culture, a Brit reggae musician, died in March during a police raid on his house.  The Met's story was that he stabbed himself in the heart while making a cup of tea.  I suppose it could happen but I would think that would be a very hard way to go about killing yourself...

And an officer is to go to trial in October on manslaugter charges after a non-protester, trying to get home during the G20 protests, died shortly after what looked like an unprovoked and excessive use of force by police.
The statement from the Met. at the time was that protesters obstructed paramedics from treating Mr Tomlinson and this probably accounted for his actual death.  If you haven't seen the video footage (taken just by chance and released in March)  the 2nd half shows Mr Tomlinson lying dead on the street:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8413906/G20-death-Ian-Tomlinsons-final-movements.html

(Perceived) police brutality against ethnic minorities is very often the starting point for riots, but in the bigger context there's a clear link between social mobility and inequality and these kinds of riots occuring. They don't happen in the countries at the egalitarian end of the spectrum, even though these countries have high immigrant populations.

There's nobody in the background pulling the strings. It is all pretty straight forward: There is a subset of the population living in a precarious environment with very little chance to escape it. It has been like this in Britain historically and even more since the introduction of neo-liberal economics in the 80s. Now that the economic experiment of deregulation backfired worldwide and the country is broke the new government started to cut where it hurts this demograhic the most - at social benefits and access to and support of the educational system. They hardly had a chance before, and now it's getting worse.

The consesus of a society rests upon (perceived) fairness and equality. The London riots should be a warning sign to politicians everywhere not to make the most vulnerable pay for the crisis those at the top created. It will backfire, predictably.

Here's some good reads:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/10/oecd-uk-worst-social-mobility#

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/08/context-london-riots

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/03/deaths-police-custody-officers-convicted

Living Sounds,
In my opinion, your post above is about the crux of it. 
I hope the focus isn't only on the criminal acts during these riots, and that they don't detract from what is really important here - an attempt to try and understand why this is happening and then some steps towards fixing things. 

The class system and an inability to move up the ladder is entrenched in the system.  Ever since the Romans came to add the Isles to the Empire.  Although at least a celt could work off his freedom and become a citizen of Rome...

Opinions vary.

Economic mobility IMO is promoted by rule of law (property rights), education, and personal motivation.

Economic mobility is hindered by increased regulation, and an anti-business climate. This mainly protects the established players and prevents innovative new companies.

The rules that make it so hard to fire workers, makes it equally difficult for employers to give new workers a chance on the fear they may be stuck with a bad worker. Elevated minimum wages make it uneconomic to hire young inexperienced workers. How do they get experience, working off the books?

Some things can't be simply legislated or regulated to happen just because the bureaucrats want it to be. What do you think would happen if the minimum wage was $1M (or euros, or pounds)? It's kind of like legislating against gravity. Not going to work. The floundering economy here is a good example of what too much government help leads to. I just hope we figure it out and turn the ship in time, to avoid the mistakes of those more advanced countries than us.

More government is not the solution for anything except maybe too much wealth.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
What do you think would happen if the minimum wage was $1M (or euros, or pounds)?

If all goes wrong, maybe it will be.
And it might buy you a loaf of bread. 
The 1922 German hyperinflation is a good example.  Two of the accepted causes being:

1/ A war which was financed purely by borrowing. 
2/ Speculation on the part of Bankers...

Does this sound familiar? ;)

During the 1st World War, the Paper Mark (fiat currency) declined in value and was worth only an eighth of 1 U.S. Dollar by 1918.
But the cost of reparations and paying back the accumulated debt meant that, by 1921, a Mark was worth less than 1/3 of 1 U.S. cent!  Over 300 Marks = $1!

The marketplace doesn't provide anything long-term by itself. World-class education for everyone can only be guaranteed by government intervention. Quality food for every child doesn't happen by itself. A stimulating learning environment usually isn't availible to working-class children unless it is provided by the government. Higher education is very expensive and not an option for someone poor unless it is paid for by the public.

Take a long hard look at the Scandinavian countries. They've traded less millionaires for lower crime, a higher overall standard of living and quality of life, more security, better education, infrastructure, long-term prosperity.

It's really tiring to hear the same old anti-government me-first greed-is-good redderick over and over again while things fall more and more apart due to these extremist policies. It's just ideology, the facts say otherwise.

living sounds said:
The marketplace doesn't provide anything long-term by itself.
Indeed... but free markets provide equal opportunity... We are not as free as I'd like with too much crony capitalism, and special deals. I prefer letting the customers pick winners and losers not government contracts.
World-class education for everyone can only be guaranteed by government intervention.
We are having success with free market experiments (voucher systems where parent can take their tax dollars to private schools). The US spends more dollars per pupil than lots of countries and clearly gets less. The government (and forgive the cliche, unions) have just raced to the bottom.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a newspaper article today that ranked states for ability to meet standardized testing and not only was MS not on the bottom of the list, the only mention in the article was about MS raising the local standard. 
Quality food for every child doesn't happen by itself.
Sounds like a good task for parents.
A stimulating learning environment usually isn't availible to working-class children unless it is provided by the government.
The government doesn't provide squat... It taxes us, then spends our tax dollars on stuff.
Higher education is very expensive and not an option for someone poor unless it is paid for by the public.
damn... I was at the gym tonight playing basketball with two high school kids who both had college scholarships already (they were very good) we won three games in a row.

I don't have a college degree so I guess I'm doomed....
Take a long hard look at the Scandinavian countries. They've traded less millionaires for lower crime, a higher overall standard of living and quality of life, more security, better education, infrastructure, long-term prosperity.
Not completely that simple... throw in some North sea oil revenue too. It is a little more complicated than trading away top earnings capability.
It's really tiring to hear the same old anti-government me-first greed-is-good redderick over and over again while things fall more and more apart due to these extremist policies. It's just ideology, the facts say otherwise.

Wow, lots of mud in that one sentence. Let me come up with some common ground here... I am tired of the rhetoric too. lets talk about ideas, not call each other names.

There are some honest differences of opinion here we can discuss...

JR

Jean Clochet said:
JohnRoberts said:
What do you think would happen if the minimum wage was $1M (or euros, or pounds)?

If all goes wrong, maybe it will be.
And it might buy you a loaf of bread. 
The 1922 German hyperinflation is a good example.  Two of the accepted causes being:

1/ A war which was financed purely by borrowing. 
2/ Speculation on the part of Bankers...

Does this sound familiar? ;)
and printing presses running 24x7
During the 1st World War, the Paper Mark (fiat currency) declined in value and was worth only an eighth of 1 U.S. Dollar by 1918.
But the cost of reparations and paying back the accumulated debt meant that, by 1921, a Mark was worth less than 1/3 of 1 U.S. cent!  Over 300 Marks = $1!
Germany experienced hyper inflation during the Weimar republic 1920's. WWI  reparations was responsible for only about 1/3 of the deficit spending, but an attractive excuse. 

This national memory is responsible for the European central bank's single mandate to prevent inflation. Sometimes I wish our Fed was as predictable. Helicopter Ben is warming up the choppers.

JR

John, is it possible to briefly touch on the other 2/3 ? Did Germany do anything on their own, after WW2, to get to their current strong economic position, or was it all NATO planning? Any ideas?

JohnRoberts said:

Do you really think this is a valid reason?  It's a little off base as far as time frame.

JohnRoberts said:
Germany experienced hyper inflation during the Weimar republic 1920's. WWI  reparations was responsible for only about 1/3 of the deficit spending, but an attractive excuse. 

I'd like to hear some thoughts on what you think were responsible for the other 2/3rds.  Unless 'printing presses' really is it?
Economics are a little varied in opinions but:
1/ The borrowing of money irresponsibly to pay increasing expenses and debts for the war.
2/ The printing of more fiat currency.
3/  A fear of military defeat.

These being the result of unrestrained banking authorities.

Also,
A growing lack of confidence in the system which led to individuals converting local money into real assets and hard currency.

thanks John.

Spiritworks said:
John, is it possible to briefly touch on the other 2/3 ? Did Germany do anything on their own, after WW2, to get to their current strong economic position, or was it all NATO planning? Any ideas?

I will leave it to the historians to dissect the Wiemar republic. I got the 1/3 number from one of the sundry wiki pages on the subject. As i recall they attributed it to lack of political leadership or will to undertake unpopular spending cut backs. 

Again there is much history written about post WWII germany, and I won't even try to flesh that all out. I'm pretty sure the policy immediately following WWII was not intended to allow a strong germany to emerge, but we didn't break it apparently, and converted an adversary to an ally, something we seem to forget all too often.

FWIW I was a (very) tiny part of that post WWII history (more like cold war era). In 1970 I was in Germany on NATO maneuvers. While NATO was mostly about playing poker (chess?) with the Soviets, there were economic considerations. For example the 1st infantry division that was committed to NATO support in Germany, was actually based at Ft Riley KS for most of the year, and air lifted over to Germany for about two months of maneuvers and war games, ending up in Grafenwehr, literally a few klicks away from the soviet bloc armies doing the same dance on their side of the border.

The massive airlift of a full infantry division, while a useful military exercise, was partially done to manage cash flow. If the entire division was based in germany for the entire year, there would have been significantly more money spent there and not in the US, while the money spent during those two months was not insignificant. The farmers would just about beg us to drive across their fields so they could get reparations.  One visual that sticks with me was near the end of maneuvers, seeing truckloads of empty beer bottles traveling in the opposite direction of the division. This was back when Germany used refillable flip top beer bottles (flippies- similar to the modern flip top Grolsh). Since every town had a local beer brewery, all the empties got turned in at the next town, and full ones picked up, so the net empty bottle imbalance travelled from town to town with the soldiers across the country. I assumed  the trucks travelled all the way back to where the maneuvers started.   

Germany today is clearly an economic success. IMO this is a combination of an export based industrial policy, a very convenient currency made weaker by the behavior of other EU states with less budgetary discipline, and obviously they design and manufacture high quality products that the rest of the world wants.

It is a recipe that works for them, and it isn't their fault that their neighbors are buggering their currency. It is perhaps interesting to note, that the current EU issues show in a microcosm, what would happen if we had a world currency, or hard gold standard, i.e. the economic imbalances would show up somewhere else (like sovereign debt).

There are good things about Germany's policy but we always need to be careful about saying just do that and you will get the same result. That said, I still find it unfathomable, that we have three free trade agreements, negotiated under the last president and still waiting on congress to certify these years later... hello jobs anyone??? 

I am not an expert on 1920s Germany, or Germany now, but I do have opinions. I do try to follow what Germany does because they have a pretty good track record.  The recent decision to get out of nuclear power is interesting. I think they are correct in the long term, near term it's not so obvious. 

JR

Jean Clochet said:
JohnRoberts said:

Do you really think this is a valid reason?  It's a little off base as far as time frame.
While I trying to be humorous, increasing the money supply is literally the cause of inflation.

I don't have the reference handy but there is a funny anecdote about a government official asking an economist for advice about how to stop the hyper inflation. The economist apparently a funny guy, arranged to meet the government official on the street outside a currency printing plant. The noise of the presses running constantly made it difficult to speak, but the economist made his point... turn off the presses.

I was thinking about this some more last night, and we have also managed to create inflation using mostly private means. The recent housing run up and collapse, clearly inflated home prices. Since this is a significant private asset the inflation of that rippled through the economy lifting everything. While government was not the direct cause, they were very complicit through the behavior of fannie and freddie, and nonexistent discipline of the mortgage lending practices. No doubt the regulators and politicians were happy with the result so didn't want to upset the apple cart. We are still dealing with the deflationary pressure of the hugely over valued housing market that still hasn't bottomed.

This inflation was created by credit expansion, so I guess credit is similar to money in effect.     
JohnRoberts said:

I'd like to hear some thoughts on what you think were responsible for the other 2/3rds.  Unless 'printing presses' really is it?
Economics are a little varied in opinions but:
1/ The borrowing of money irresponsibly to pay increasing expenses and debts for the war.
2/ The printing of more fiat currency.
3/  A fear of military defeat.

These being the result of unrestrained banking authorities.

Also,
A growing lack of confidence in the system which led to individuals converting local money into real assets and hard currency.

thanks John.
I just cited a factoid from wiki , I am not an expert on 1920's Germany.

For a modern example of hyperinflation we can look at Zimbabwe, which looks like it may have run it's course.

Any claim that a modern western currency is experiencing hyper inflation is 'hyperbole" .

One interesting chart to look at is

dollar-yuan-history-chart.jpg

I actually appreciate China making a slow and steady adjustment to exchange rates, rather than fast like some politicians demanded, but this is another significant factor in value of western currencies.  But like I have already mentioned exchange rates are only one contact point for economic imbalances to express.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
"Do you really think this is a valid reason?  It's a little off base as far as time frame."

While I trying to be humorous, increasing the money supply is literally the cause of inflation.

...arranged to meet the government official on the street outside a currency printing plant. The noise of the presses running constantly made it difficult to speak, but the economist made his point... turn off the presses.

Ah! Haha :)  I thought you meant presses that were printing propaganda.
Sorry.

JohnRoberts said:
The rules that make it so hard to fire workers, makes it equally difficult for employers to give new workers a chance on the fear they may be stuck with a bad worker.

Actually, they have found a way around that. A great proportion of the jobs I see advertised over the last couple of years are 'Temporary, fixed term contract'. A close friend of mine got one of these jobs. He is very experienced in his field and highly employable. His employers kept bringing him in every month to review how he was doing, and dangling the prospect of being 'let go' over him. This 'probation period' went on for about 9 months, when one day he was called into the office and told that he had been seen leaving the office 3 minutes early and they would be dismissing him. (He had actually been going by the clock on his office telephone, so was not guilty).

This has actually meant reduced job mobility, as I have seen jobs that I would apply for if they weren't fixed term temporary. Why should I leave my current, safe, stable job for a slightly better paid job that might disappear in 6 months time? Especially in uncertain times like these. I have a family to support!

MikeClev said:
JohnRoberts said:
The rules that make it so hard to fire workers, makes it equally difficult for employers to give new workers a chance on the fear they may be stuck with a bad worker.

Actually, they have found a way around that. A great proportion of the jobs I see advertised over the last couple of years are 'Temporary, fixed term contract'. A close friend of mine got one of these jobs. He is very experienced in his field and highly employable. His employers kept bringing him in every month to review how he was doing, and dangling the prospect of being 'let go' over him. This 'probation period' went on for about 9 months, when one day he was called into the office and told that he had been seen leaving the office 3 minutes early and they would be dismissing him. (He had actually been going by the clock on his office telephone, so was not guilty).

This has actually meant reduced job mobility, as I have seen jobs that I would apply for if they weren't fixed term temporary. Why should I leave my current, safe, stable job for a slightly better paid job that might disappear in 6 months time? Especially in uncertain times like these. I have a family to support!

Your response pretty much supports my point, that the legislation often does not accomplish the promised headline effect of helping workers, and can cause unintended consequences.

There have been uglier times in our history when workers needed protection from business exploitation, but IMO not so much now.

Of course opinions vary.

JR 

Latest posts

Back