What do you get when two black holes meet...?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
One black hole and gravity waves.... 8)

I am currently re-reading the "brief history of time " by Hawking,  and saw in the newspaper today that scientists discovered gravity wave evidence of two black holes combining...  far away and something like 65x the mass of our sun...

JR

JohnRoberts said:
One black hole and gravity waves.... 8)

I am currently re-reading the "brief history of time " by Hawking,  and saw in the newspaper today that scientists discovered gravity wave evidence of two black holes combining...  far away and something like 65x the mass of our sun...

Lucky for us this event happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Andy Peters said:
Lucky for us this event happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

hqdefault.jpg

Wonder if discovering "gravity waves" help to figure out "The Theory Of Everything"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything

JohnRoberts said:
and saw in the newspaper today that scientists discovered gravity wave evidence of two black holes combining... 

Hello
Yes, the third detection have been announced two days ago  8)
for those interested with LIGO : http://www.ligo.org/
Best
Zam

JohnRoberts said:
I like a good dirty joke just like the next guy, but I try to set a good example around here (like occasionally talking about audio electronics.)

JR
Well, if a mic preamp fell into a black hole could you fix it?

bluebird said:
Wonder if discovering "gravity waves" help to figure out "The Theory Of Everything"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything

Gravitational waves. Sorry to be pedantic, but gravity waves are something very different!

The answer to your question is "probably not." Gravitational waves are more important to studying the early universe, and having observed them last year (or was it a couple years ago now? I forget) filled in a hole in our observations confirming certain aspects of the theory of general relativity. (They were predicted by not confirmed observed for a long time.)

What WOULD be a major discovery toward a theory of everything IS something related to gravity, however, and that's a force-carrying particle of gravity -- AKA a graviton, the gravitational equivalent of a photon.

the damn trouble with anything quantum related is the observer effect - we tend to observe what we think we will observe. I just wonder how this has filtered out into our equations and current "beliefs" or "facts" we think we know...

Phrazemaster said:
the damn trouble with anything quantum related is the observer effect - we tend to observe what we think we will observe. I just wonder how this has filtered out into our equations and current "beliefs" or "facts" we think we know...

That has something to do with 5 sigma confirmation, to see an event very rare in the rules we know, but of course, the best we can do is to say that it supports the theories we have and make it stronger, but that's only our best explanation of it, not the total truth.

JS

joaquins said:
That has something to do with 5 sigma confirmation, to see an event very rare in the rules we know, but of course, the best we can do is to say that it supports the theories we have and make it stronger, but that's only our best explanation of it, not the total truth.

JS
Well-stated.

Back