What happens to my Manley Variable Mu 6386?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distorter

Hi guys, I hear muddiness from the low-end of my Manley Variable Mu, I checked with Plugin Doctor, and it looks very weird:
Vari Mu.png

Manley product also has an issue with Jamecon, and possibly some Xicon branded capacitors leaking. These can and will do a lot of damage to the circuit board if not caught in time. Time to pull that screen off the top (it's one screw, IIRC) and have a look at the board. Don't poke your fingers in there, there is HIGH VOLTAGE inside.

Manley product also has an issue with Jamecon, and possibly some Xicon branded capacitors leaking.

Utterly pathetic, from an engineering standpoint, for an audio device (and a renowned one at that) costing 4-5 grand(!!!) to encounter the same issues for the same reasons as bottom-of-the-barrel stuff... 🤦‍♂️

Could be a combination of things.
1) If your area of the world has mains power at 50Hz, 50Hz peak could be power supply filtering and/or rectification problem.
2) 160Hz dip could be capacitor, or possibly switch or pot contact open.
3) It could be a bad/dirty contact in a tube socket, a jumper connector, or anything having to do with a connector.
I only worked on one Manley product about 20 years ago. I believe the problem was dust in the wind (cooling that is). But I really don't remember. (10 points for those who get all three(?) references.). My impression of the build quality of the Manley I worked on was impressively top notch. Excellent design engineering and manufacture.
Question: Is the scope view with shorted inputs? Suggest try with white noise.

Last edited:
Could be a combination of things.
1) If your area of the world has mains power at 50Hz, 50Hz peak could be power supply filtering and/or rectification problem.
2) 160Hz dip could be capacitor, or possibly switch or pot contact open.
3) It could be a bad/dirty contact in a tube socket, a jumper connector, or anything having to do with a connector.
I only worked on one Manley product about 20 years ago. I believe the problem was dust in the wind (cooling that is). But I really don't remember. (10 points for those who get all three(?) references.). My impression of the build quality of the Manley I worked on was impressively top notch. Excellent design engineering and manufacture.
Question: Is the scope view with shorted inputs? Suggest try with white noise.
Thanks a lot! I'll try to replace some components. Also, my electric power is not clean enough for vintage units, lol

Latest posts

Back