What is that strange Neve ground wiring?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ian
Thanks for those 'reference documents' I have now saved them in a 'useful' place. I had seem them before but disappeared somewhere.
I 'kind of' worked with Keith Armstrong in 1983, in that he was designing a particular product and I was making initial (functional tests) of subcircuits he was working on. He had come from Neve where he is credited on some drawings for their 8232 desk (the first with 'computerised' central routing.
Back on topic, yes the speculation about the wiring is correct in that it was usual to attach a length of green 7/0.2 flexible wire to the 'drain' wire (shield) of both single and twin screen wires so that they can be terminated neatly. Signal conductors should remain twisted tightly and neatly as far as possible although a bit of 'extra' to allow retermination should repairs be necessary in the next century.
Neve and Audix had wirepersons drawn from the local aerospace contracting firms so standards of assembly were usually very high. there were rules for wrapping of wire and lengths of machine screws (bolts) and the use of lock washers etc.
Matt S

Neve and Audix had wirepersons drawn from the local aerospace contracting firms so standards of assembly were usually very high. there were rules for wrapping of wire and lengths of machine screws (bolts) and the use of lock washers etc.
That's very interesting, and putting a lot of pressure on my shoulders for the restoration job I'm working on haha

Matt S
I did my apprenticeship at British Aerospace (BAC as is was in 1969). They took in so many every year that they had a dedicated apprentice school. They were three groups of apprentices - undergraduate, technician and craft.

Cheers

Ian

Back