What is This?? Strange Ebay Gear

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Anybody know what this is????

I was thinking it might be cool to GUT and throw 8 GREENs in there... I wonder if those VUs are Analog (real VU) or DC...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5719230978&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

or ebay.com => item # = 5719230978

????

-ChuckD

Shame he doesn't ship outside the US, looks like a bargain to me!

Listed under consumer electronics - other gadgets...

Hopefully the unusual category should ensure a low price, or you could email him and see what he'll take before the auction runs its course.

Looks like record / repro amps to me. Either way the meters will be able to work with a diy unit if you're prepared to work out how to drive them, or they may be VU anyway.

Email him and get it before anyone else does I say!

Justin

> GUT and throw 8 GREENs in there

Count again: seven meters.

At first it looks like part of a 8/16/24-track recorder. But 7 don't fit.

Must be some odd industrial instrumentation or datalogging.

You will find a way to use the meters. At today's price it seems a good deal if you want a box like that.

Sattelite datalogging might be a good bet.

An old and very dear friend of mine once built a vacuum-tube, 1" analogue 8-track recorded using an old Ampex 7-track sattelite datalogger transport. It became known as "the Jolly Green Giant" and sounded fantastic. -Only trouble was he'd used two offeset heads to get the 8 tracks, so nothing was compatable with other machines. -If you recorded on that machine, you mixed off of that machine!

Keith

I guess the BNC connections give a clue that it's not a conventional amp :oops:

Why not build 7 pres into one case and sell off the other unit? You could probably sell the meters for $5-10 a pop I guess?

J

Actually, I had missed the fact that it was an Ampex device...

Which means I'm almost positive it's from a datalogger, very similar to what was used to make the "Jolly Green Giant".

(The aforementioned green Giant was -last time I heard- still in service, just a few miles from mark Burnley's front door, across the river Mersey, in a house in Oxton. -if it ever needed service I'd happily recommend Mark to look after it, if Peter was unable to do so for whatever reason.)

Keith

hey keith,

does your friend use the recorder comercially? i'd wondered about a project like that.......

toby

Latest posts

Back