Which Mod is the best to start to professionalize?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potti18

Good evening folks.

First of all i want to say "hello" to all of you, Im new here. I am 29 years old and from germany.

At the moment i make a educ. qualification as an electrician.
I never thought that this would help me with my hobby, but here i am now, to make my first
microphone by myself or at least build a kit or something like that.

1-2 weeks now I am reading a lot on this Board as a guest.
(especially about u87 clones and moddings for akg perceptions and the at2020.)

In my freetime i like to do a lot of RnB and a little bit of rap music.
At the moment i am just using a AT2020 microphone into a Audient iD4
with a Aston mic-screen.
Now is the point where i want to start to professionalize my equipment.
Today i bought some´wood and foam to build my own acoustic elements.
After i finish them i want to start with a better microphone.

I am wondering what is the best bang for the buck at the moment to get a
more professional sounding micrphone?

I read a lot about the MicAndMod U87 DIY Kit, or the AT2020 Mod Kit from mic-parts.
Also what i found very interesting are the threads here about the Manley Ref-C and how you
can make a "clone" from this 3000€ microphone for like 300€.

Im not quite sure what to get and where to start with. My Budget ist like 800-1000€.

What do you think is the best option at the moment? My mind is widely open for a cheaper budget if possible.
I would use this microphone only for vocals.

Greetings

Hard to go wrong with a U87 for Rap/RnB, they’re one of the best options even at the highest level (Drake, etc). Others can tell you the best current configuration, but one of the AliExpress bodies + a Soliloqueen K87 + one of the many PCB options available + 3U/Moby transformer should get you an outstanding mic for well under 800€.

The mod kit for your AT2020 is a good place to start, as the capsule is by far it's weakest component.

For only about $25, you can simply replace the capsule with this: https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3410au/, which is considerably better than the one in the MicAndMod kit. You will, however have to fashion your own mount for the capsule, as it's larger than the one in the 2020.

Or, you can get the MicAndMod kit and replace it's capsule with the one above; it'll probably fit the kit's capsule mount with little or no modification, and you get the other mod parts as well.

Last edited:
The second-weakest component in the 2020 is the transformer, which the mod kit dispenses with entirely, as the circuit is a version of the Schoeps transformerless output one.

Back