White Oxide On Old Equipment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corgan4321

Hello,

I’ve opened up a Hickock Tube Tester Model 752A that has quite a bit of white powdery oxide (?) f some kind on some of the parts. A lot of the brackets, screws, rheostat, etc show a build up of the stuff. I’ve read mention that it could be cadmium sulfide or oxide and is toxic. Can anyone verify what this gunk is, and perhaps offer some help whether the unit will still be serviceable? Worth restoring? Some of the contacts on the tube sockets show evidence of the white build up, while others are clean.

Attachments

• IMG_4736.jpeg
    IMG_4736.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4735.jpeg
    IMG_4735.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4734.jpeg
    IMG_4734.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4733.jpeg
    IMG_4733.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Did the unit live in close proximity to the sea , salt from the air sometimes has that effect on steel ,
Id use a small brass wire brush and the vacuum cleaner to remove the particals , then maybe a wipe with a cloth with WD-40 on it .

I’ve read mention that it could be cadmium sulfide or oxide and is toxic.
I don't see how cadmium get there ?!? also CdS is yellow powder and CdO is brown powder

The most rational possible oxide regarding the implicated parts (chassis and screw) is zinc... ZnO...which is white.

edit:
-IT CAN BE CdO from cadmium plating, be careful-

Cheers
Zam

Last edited:
I don't see how cadmium get there ?!? also CdS is yellow powder and CdO is brown powder

The most rational possible oxide regarding the implicated parts (chassis and screw) is zinc... ZnO...which is white.

Cheers
Zam
Isn't aluminum oxide also white?

Probably harmless but don't eat it.

JR

+1

I have seen this before. I would clean it off as described above, yeah don't eat it and don't sniff it either.:alien:

@corgan4321 , thanks for the precision...
Now it seem CdO can also be white, I may be wrong in my previous statement about zinc, so for OP, be careful and take necessary safety precaution about this.

(I'm freaking out as I probably handle and hard clean oxidation on plated chassis in the past thinking it was zinc...)

I'll edit all my previous post

Cheers
Zam

Back