Who said ribbon mics are insensitive

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

The other day I was testing the latest version of my Classic Solo tube mic pre project. As this version had no phantom power I was testing it with an old Grampian GR2 ribbon mic I bought in the mid 60s. I had wound the gain right up to 70dB and was looking at the level on a wide range LED PPM. The background PC noise, local traffic and me walking around were all quite visible. Then I happened to stand in front of the mic to make an adjustment to the test gear and I notice this very low frequency thump about 10dB high at about 1Hz. I leaned in closer and it got bigger. I moved back a couple of feet and it disappeared. Then I realised, the mic was at chest height. What I could clearly see was my own heartbeat.

Who says ribbon mics are insensitive!

Cheers

Ian

Ribbon mics are truly MAGIC is what they are. With todays lower recording equipment (digital) noise floor I have fallen in love with all my old ribbon and dynamic mics again!

With something close you could easily get 20mV/Pascal at LF with a ribbon...That's why we put a bass cur switch on our mics.
With drums it can be volts if the transformer can handle it.

Les

Latest posts

Back