Microphone cable differences

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian May uses a set-up that could be deemed as absurd in pure technical terms.
His Red Special originally incorporated a Vox Treble Booster.
Actually, due to its quite low input impedance, combined with the pick-ups inductance the TB starts with a serious band-pass filter that attenuates both treble and bass, and leaves only the midrangey sound.
When BM found out he got a better sound without the TB and just the natural distortion from the AC30's, he noticed that long cables actually moved the bandpss a few notches down, to a sound he liked more.
Such a set-up cannot be qualified in the usual terms of fidelity, like frequency response or distortion.

Hendrix also liked the curly cables because he could use it to make the guitar wail when he used feedback from speaker to pickup , downside is it can sometimes form a tuned circuit that demodulates radio transmissions ,
At the Isle of Wight 1970 concert Hendrix is all bummed out about the amps , Rory Gallaghers Taste also had major problems with breakthrough from police radio and brown outs of the mains supply at that festival .

Of course were in a very different place now with regards RF interference than we were back then , noxious levels of it are everywhere . I think the effect of using curly cables now would be so unpredictable that it would cause headaches .

I never thought of measuring a curly cable with the LCR , chances are both inductance and capacitance vary as the cable is stretched .

I believe it was the Dallas Rangemaster top boost pedal Rory recomended to Brian and it became an integral part of his sound.

Straight from the horses mouth , as we say

Last edited:
And throw in that a typical passive electric guitar pickup also sees a variable impedance due to a tone control circuit.
A late reply but, as someone who does a LOT of amps every month I’ve never seen a guitar amp ever where signal hits a tone stack before anything else.

Post 1940’s virtually every decent commercial guitar amp built has the same input configuration- a 1M or higher load resistor to ground right at the jack, and a 68k (or so) grid stopper to the first tube stage. On some cheap/dept store brand small amps I have occasionally seen the input hit the volume pot first, but it’s still using the pot to ground as the terminating impedance.

I once recorded a guitar player. He said he preferred a short cable, because with long cables he could hear the delay. :D
I said: even if you would use 100 meters, you won't hear a delay! (The audio quality may suffer, especially on a guitar element, but certaily there is no delay!)
Well, he just clearly had MUCH better hearing than you, that's all.

Don't let it get you down; "...for always there will greater and lesser persons than yourself." 🙏

Last edited:
The different brands of mic cable sometimes age differently after a few years of handling and coiling. May be then it makes an audible difference.

The different brands of mic cable sometimes age differently after a few years of handling and coiling. May be then it makes an audible difference.
I have to say that I have never noticed any difference in a mic cable at studio lengths, as long as it wasn't broken - and I have some here I made in 1974 (I made them carefully, with decent cable, pre oxygen-free, and early adhesive-backed heatshrink - I have never had to fix them). But on tour and in theatre and with much greater lengths I have noticed differences and prefer decent double sheathed star-quad, for the noise-rejection, not the audio quality.

guitar player ... preferred a short cable, because with long cables he could hear the delay.

I remember using coiled cables way back in 1968 because they were considered "cool." - But, we quickly opted for long straight coils for OTHER reasons than audio quality. We soon discovered short, coiled cables were stiff and easily pulled our amplifiers over! It is a real embarrassment when your amp suddenly keels over as you jump around like Pete Townsend or Chuck Barry. Man, I really hate that awful crashing sound of the spring reverb thrashing about. Yep, LONG straight cables are definitely the way to go! :) // James //

Back