Will this work as a Bench Supply?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freq Band

GDIY Supporter
I found one of these industrial ac/dc converters for cheap....and I'm trying to find a good use for it.
http://tornado.nsk.ru/catalog/power%20one%20k_ac.pdf

Its the dual (15v,15v) @ 5amps output version. Can become a 30v 5a if the two 15v outputs are wired in series.

My version has two ways to control the output volts......with discrete resistors (on a rotary switch I assume)...the other using a control voltage (0...2.75v).

a) Adjustment by means of an external control voltage Uext
between pin 16 (R) and pin 14:
The control voltage range is 0...2.75 V DC and allows an
output voltage adjustment in the range of approximately
0...110% Uo nom.

b) Adjustment by means of an external resistor:
Depending upon the value of the required output voltage
the resistor shall be connected
either: Between pin 16 and pin 14 (Uo < Uo nom) to
achieve an output voltage adjustment range of approximately
0...100% Uo nom
or: Between pin 16 and pin 12 (Uo > Uo nom) to achieve
an output voltage adjustment range of approximately
100...110% Uo nom.
(for whatever reason, it says I cannot use a pot instead of the resistors. A different version will allow this, but I ain't got dat one.)

..so my question is this.....which method would you suggest I use ?
If it's the CV method, can you point me in a direction to build a 0....2.75 supply......(with a 2.75 zener diode over voltage (clamp) circuit perhaps ?)

....and how could I adjust the current ?

Or other ideas for this product ?
(psu for several diy synth modules?)

.-=FB=-.

Yes - this would make a very good bench PSU - Melcher modules are very good and reliable I understand.

With 5 amps of output - your bench supply could power quite a large mixing desk.......!

I would experiment with adjustable voltage (if you need other voltages) - but for simplicity +15 0 -15 would find plenty of uses.

JG

It looks like a potentiometer hooked up as a rheostat would work as long as you put a fixed resistor in series in accordance with the specification on R'ext, Table 7b, page 11 of the spec. If you are using it for the lower voltages it can be arbitrarily small, although regulation is probably not going to work below Uo nom for the particular model.

*(variable resistor with connections to wiper and to one end, or wiper tied to one end and connections to it and the other end)

I just found some Bench supplies at a local surplus store.

0-50V, 0-3A for $100
0-20V, 0-1A for $65..
Both with digital readouts.

are those prices any good??
I'll try to run over there and get a brand name..

Sorry for hijacking the thread.... :oops:

Back