Wires broken on EA-5002-500 Output Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnusp71

Hi everyone

During my first build - a Hairball FET500 REV A - I accidentally ripped of the grey wire on the transformer while trimming it. Kind of panicked - so removed the insulation on the transformer and notices that the violet wire is also broken and that the wires on the transformer are insanely slim. I am not sure which of the two copper wires on the transformer belongs to what wire (grey and violet), and furthermore I don't have a clue on how to put the wires back onto these slim copper wires.

So honestly, how screwed am I? Noticing that Hairball doesn't sell the transformers individually at the moment, I assume pretty much. Is there a way for me to fix it? :)

Thank you all in advance for helping me avoiding this first build becoming a disaster :)
Br, Magnus

IMG_7250 2.JPG
IMG_7253.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG
IMG_7251 2.JPG

Can't really tell what's going on that well but someone familiar with transformers should be able to.

I'd guess the wires just need to make contact and stay...Maybe even some adhesive.? Looks like the wires are positioned right how you pulled them off but idk...
You'll get it figured out if that's the only damage. At least it's not a power tx...

If yanking on strippers did this, to avoid future mishaps in questionable scenarios , maybe try just scoring the insulation with your strippers or blade then try to remove the rest with your finger tips .

Grey and Violet belong to the same winding

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 03.10.35.png

I don't know how that transformer is wired to the circuit but if you connect the Violet to the wire grey was connected and vice-versa it will work but be 180 degrees out of phase, or polarity reversed.
Maybe you can connect it both ways and try it out.

Latest posts

Back