Woa...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this reminds me of a time I was in Mexico, a place I used to frequent  living on the border and even now living out in L.A.

Random shop owner: Want to by a Rolex?

Me:  sorry but I am not interested

Random shop owner: Are you sure? it's real...

Me: At that price?

Random Shop Owner: Yes. Real fake.

We both laughed, but I didn't by a fake Rolex.

I think the chinese will sell pcb's IF they  see people buying them  or they have any idea what they're for
they'll offer them up with similar parts, easy to simply list things , see this with the gtr pedals and amp parts

And whether intentional or not as a strategy  berhringer started letting things  " look " like they were copied
so you think you're getting the better product as they out berhringer themselves and make it even more cheaply inside

okgb said:
I think the chinese will sell pcb's IF they  see people buying them  or they have any idea what they're for
they'll offer them up with similar parts, easy to simply list things , see this with the gtr pedals and amp parts
I am not very concerned about PCB houses reselling PCB... without BOM and other details it is hard to turn them into a product. Obvious clones of clones, perhaps but the market for those is modest.
And whether intentional or not as a strategy  berhringer started letting things  " look " like they were copied
so you think you're getting the better product as they out berhringer themselves and make it even more cheaply inside
Indeed during Behringer's rapid expansion phase they openly copied the "trade dress" (look) of established successful manufacturers (Like Mackies' 8bus).  Trade dress can be considered IP like other design aspects, but it is pretty rare to win lawsuits over trade dress alone. If anything the courts have made this harder to prosecute in recent years. One notable winner IIRC was Fluke hand held meters, while the trade dress losers are many.  Gibson is no stranger to IP lawsuits over guitar designs targeting smaller competitors.

Behringer has been so successful there are less obvious competitors to duplicate. A good problem to have (for them), and they have reverted to more risky original designs. As reluctant as I am to say nice things about Behinger their pretty much original M32 digital mixer changed the industry.

JR

The Chinese will sell anything if there are buyers...

Remember the deep-frying fat made from used motor oil? These crooks got hanged because people died.

And it's not only the Chinese.

I once had a talk with a sports weapons merchant. Asked if he had any Mausers. The answer: "Of course not. These are illegal! How many would you need?

cyrano said:
Behringer gets cloned too, these days.
Okay, after some of the stories I read on rec.audio.pro decades ago, this is no less than poetic justice.

benb said:
Okay, after some of the stories I read on rec.audio.pro decades ago, this is no less than poetic justice.
some of us were alive and competing in the market decades ago... so not just stories.

I have been waiting for him to be undercut by even cheaper bottom feeders.  China is getting more expensive so it could come eventually.

JR

Back