Working out math for the wrong answer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

On of the local knuckleheads  wired up  some we111c transformers in a box to run across his mix bus.  He insists that they are 1:4, 150:600. Looking at the data sheet can wire them 1:1/600:600 or 150:600 which would be one to two.  He insists 150 x 4 = 600 so it’s a 1:4. What the hell?🙈🙉

Decibels were originally created to represent power ratios.  They kind of don't make sense for describing transformer turns ratios since power in= power out (more or less).

A 1:2 turns ratio to preserve constant power means that the 2x voltage will only deliver 1/2 the current to maintain constant power.  As I shared already for effective impedance 2x voltage translates to 4x impedance to maintain constant power.

Sooooo a 150/600 ohm transformer would be 1:2 voltage ratio.....

Confused yet, I am... ;D

JR

pucho812 said:
On of the local knuckleheads  wired up  some we111c transformers in a box to run across his mix bus.  He insists that they are 1:4, 150:600. Looking at the data sheet can wire them 1:1/600:600 or 150:600 which would be one to two.  He insists 150 x 4 = 600 so it’s a 1:4. What the hell?🙈🙉
Transformer ratio is generally quoted as the turns ratio, same as voltage ratio. Impedance ratio is (N2/N1)².
In the case of a 150:600 ohm xfmr, the ratio N2/N1 is square root of Z2/Z1
Your chap is wrong.

abbey road d enfer said:
Transformer ratio is generally quoted as the turns ratio, same as voltage ratio. Impedance ratio is (N2/N1)².
Your chap is wrong.

I agree. I even showed him the math and the rest but nope.  As jr pointed out double of voltage, so 1 volt in and output would be 2 volts at half the current.
I wouldn’t care except he made two cardinal sins.
1. He tried to take credit  for a session at the studio that he was never at. Well known session with a well known artist with lots of photos and tried to tell us he was there. He wasn’t.
2. He writes gear reviews in well circulated audio magazine😬😬😬😬

pucho812 said:
1. He tried to take credit  for a session at the studio that he was never at. Well known session with a well known artist with lots of photos and tried to tell us he was there. He wasn’t.
He could argue he was giving distant mental support...Nothing stops mythomaniacs.

2. He writes gear reviews in well circulated audio magazine😬😬😬😬
Well circulated doesn't mean credible anymore.
"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach write"

abbey road d enfer said:

Impedance ratio is Zp/Zs or (Np/Ns)2.

Flatter him. Tell him he is right. Then tell him you have a special sharpie. All he needs do is run it round the edge of all the vintage CDs/SACDs he has in his collection and it will instantly create a 3D sound stage with added clarity of every instrument. etc etc As a special favour to him he can have it for only $1000.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer said:
Isn't it the same as"Impedance ratio is (N2/N1)²."
No. It's not mathematically correct. After you, the impedance ratio of 150:600 transformer is 4:1, not 1:4 which is correct.

ruffrecords said:
Flatter him. Tell him he is right. The tell him you have a special sharpie. All he needs do is run it round the edge of all the vintage CDs/SACDs he has in his collection and it will instantly create a 3D sound stage with added clarity of every instrument. etc etc As a special favour to him he can have it for only $1000.
You forgot green pen.

Back