Wow what a Desk (diy)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Quite impressive desk (diy) handmade ,
much more impressive the baby "driver" (very good start point to…)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6zseFi070E

peace

r2d2 said:
Quite impressive desk (diy) handmade ,
much more impressive the baby "driver" (very good start point to…)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6zseFi070E

peace
I've just recently noticed the ever-growing of robotic voice for commentary. What's the story? Is there a new software that permits that. Not that I'm interested, I think it sounds creepy.

abbey road d enfer said:
I've just recently noticed the ever-growing of robotic voice for commentary. What's the story? Is there a new software that permits that. Not that I'm interested, I think it sounds creepy.
Do you mean voice simulator (as inside OSX) or else more ?

Thats impressive.  I'm sure there's a few dollars in that thing and a bunch of time.  I wonder who he made it for, his son or himself?

> never heard of a voice simulator in a computer

We made Apple ][e computers "talk" mid-1980s (external DigiTalker box).

My Android talks to me when it thinks I have asked it a question. (No; if I have a question I will type it.)

My PC Adobe Acrobat Reader can "Read Out Loud". Sounds like Steven Hawking, but not as human.

Win7 Ease Of Access control panel has Narrator. Voice is female but choppier than fake-Hawking.

Both have a real lack of punctuation and line-break recognition. I do recall on the DigiTalker we spent hours marking-up the text to get natural breaks insteadofallruntogether. (Also a lot of mis-spelt words because English is such a nasty language.)

Obviously such techno-speech is potentially far cheaper than voice talent.

PRR said:
> never heard of a voice simulator in a computer

We made Apple ][e computers "talk" mid-1980s (external DigiTalker box).

My Android talks to me when it thinks I have asked it a question. (No; if I have a question I will type it.)

My PC Adobe Acrobat Reader can "Read Out Loud". Sounds like Steven Hawking, but not as human.

Win7 Ease Of Access control panel has Narrator. Voice is female but choppier than fake-Hawking.

Both have a real lack of punctuation and line-break recognition. I do recall on the DigiTalker we spent hours marking-up the text to get natural breaks insteadofallruntogether. (Also a lot of mis-spelt words because English is such a nasty language.)

Obviously such techno-speech is potentially far cheaper than voice talent.
Of course I'm aware of talking devices. Renault was a pioneer in talking cars in the last century; people were so annoyed they asked to have it silenced.
And of course I use a GPS navigator from the day they were made availble to the public; I had one of the first Magellan, I don't remember when.
But my surprise is to see all these videos with the outlandish voice; can't anybody speak any more now?
I wouldn't know where to find the button for Narrator, never cared to look for it...

I saw the title and thought this was going to be a mixing desk, but nooooooo ...

peterc said:
There are a bunch of online text to audio converters.

All sound similarly awful.
I can see the point as an aid for disabled people and as an element of talking devices, but I think using that as a substitute to a commentator is sinister. When I hear that, I just go away, even if the content is useful/attractive/pertinent. IMO, people doing that are shooting themselves in the foot, at least AFAIC.

abbey road d enfer said:
I can see the point as an aid for disabled people and as an element of talking devices, but I think using that as a substitute to a commentator is sinister. When I hear that, I just go away, even if the content is useful/attractive/pertinent. IMO, people doing that are shooting themselves in the foot, at least AFAIC.
There was something that was just as bad if not worse. These animated videos created from test dialogue using "xtranormal." Fortunately, that company has gone out of business. I dare not look on Youtube to see if there are any videos left that were made with it.

I saw one or two of those and thought Gawd, please just let me read the script instead. I'm much more into reading than watching videos anyway, and this was nails-on-chalkboard annoying for me.

In college, I had to do a spectral analysis of different voice simulators in comparison to real human voice etc..
It was creepy as hell :D

In case you were serious, it's not a robot voice, the dude's just not an expressive reader.

You can clearly hear him take breaths sometimes when he reads too many words at once.

In other news, that desk is beyond awesome. When I was six, the only toy I wanted for Christmas was a model of the space shuttle. Somewhat morbidly, we had a VHS tape with the Challenger launch on it, and I used to use the beginning of it for my launch sequence. My shuttle did not explode, though, which will totally be going on my resume when I apply to NASA.

midwayfair said:
When I was six, the only toy I wanted for Christmas was a model of the space shuttle. Somewhat morbidly, we had a VHS tape with the Challenger launch on it,

I had a friend that worked on the Challenger program and he had a piece of the heat shield that he showed some of us.... It looked and felt just like a piece of styrofoam (sp?)......

Crazy....

better go lock my doors now....lol

Back