• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted WTB cheap enclosure for GSSL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrockpsycho

Need an enclosure for a GSSL compressor that I got for free because someone couldn't figure out what was wrong with it (it was bad solder joints). Looking for something really cheap, can be beat up, scratched etc. Just need something for it to fit into. It seems they usually use a 1u 19" rack enclosure. If you have anything let me know, or even a tip where to find a cheap one. Thanks! 👍

One way to do it fairly cheap can be to get lucky and find the right kind of "for parts or not working" rack unit on eBay or similar. This will often give you connectors and even some power stuff as well, if it all tests OK. If your controls are wired off-board you might even be able to reuse the existing front panel. Cheap thin wood veneer and a layer of stain plus varnish is a very cheap way to cover an existing design, then label it up using whatever you have to hand (waterslide transfers, printed vinyl stickers, handwritten, etc).

I used this approach for a stereo Bax EQ, which I built into the enclosure of an old knackered Aphex unit. I was even able to reuse the entire power supply! Cost me £30. It's the wood-faced one in the middle of this rack:

1000006124.jpg

I'd avoid Behringer for this sort of thing by the way, their enclosures are a bit tricky to rework.

Another way is to get a blank enclosure and drill it out yourself, of course. Probably wouldn't cost a lot more, if you've got access to the tools.

Back