• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB ChiNeve output transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity Niels. What's the use you giving them..I might have one or two around.
Thanks

I also have no clue what is a chineve transformer. Probably some Chinese neve kind of transformer but I'd be interested in knowing more.

Interesting. What is the evidence of their CHinese origin?

I don't know about other brands, but I have 2 output transformers from a Golden Age 73 Mic pre, that were replaced in the circuit by Carnhill transformers, and yes they're completely Chinese made.
I actually opened one of them and they skipped in every detail of the original transformer, they just did it as cheap as it was possible:
Wire is thinner and looks pretty cheap too, there's less turns in primary and secondary, no reverse wound Primary, no insulation between sections, very thin a low quality plastic bobbin

I have to do a thread about unwinding that transformer and compare the data with one original one or one Carnhill.

here's the ChiNeve Ian:

imgext.php

imgext.php

I don't know about other brands, but I have 2 output transformers from a Golden Age 73 Mic pre, that were replaced in the circuit by Carnhill transformers, and yes they're completely Chinese made.
I actually opened one of them and they skipped in every detail of the original transformer, they just did it as cheap as it was possible:
Wire is thinner and looks pretty cheap too, there's less turns in primary and secondary, no reverse wound Primary, no insulation between sections, very thin a low quality plastic bobbin

I have to do a thread about unwinding that transformer and compare the data with one original one or one Carnhill.

here's the ChiNeve Ian:

imgext.php

imgext.php

Are you sure there is reverse wound in primary and insulation between sections on the current Carnhills?

WOW! I was completely unaware the Chinese were making Neve lookalikes (they are so far away from the original I would not call them clones).

Cheers

Ian

Are you sure there is reverse wound in primary and insulation between sections on the current Carnhills?

I never unwound a Carnhill, only Marinair. I would expect so…
But do you have any info on that?

forgot to say they also skipped the “dipping in varnish” , those ChiNeve are not dipped to save costs

I never unwound a Carnhill, only Marinair. I would expect so…
But do you have any info on that?

No, unfortunately I don't have any info. That's why I asked, hoping you or somebody else has some info on the Carnhill ones.

What I know for a fact is that they use plain silicone to pot their mu-metal trafos, which it's far from being ideal.

Last edited:
I was still laughing at Chineve after reading the title, i came back to congratulate you lol!!

Wouldn't this be a fun project use the parts and re wound the transformer according to carnhill specs? Maybe CJ would give us advice?

Wouldn't this be a fun project use the parts and re wound the transformer according to carnhill specs? Maybe CJ would give us advice?

Better to Marinair specs, CJ's posted the docs on the Marinair LO1166 already, it's here in the forum.
I wound it already, other members also, it takes a long time, I preffer t buy a new one from Carnhill than to wind it myself.

Anyway the ChiNeve output transformer parts are crappy, the wire is thinner and seems to have a very thin coat of Enamel (thinner than the standard copper wire I use), the bobbin is really weak and made of cheap plastic.
So then there was only the EI lams left, I'm pretty they also cheaped out the lams and it's probably made from some ChiMetal...

Anyway, we are hijacking this thread, sorry Nielsk

No, unfortunately I don't have any info. That's why I asked, hoping you or somebody else has some info on the Carnhill ones.
CJ has unwound many Neve transformers. The info is probably on here somewhere in the transformers meta.

Cheers

Ian

CJ has unwound many Neve transformers. The info is probably on here somewhere in the transformers meta.

Cheers

Ian

By "neve transformers" you mean Marinair or Carnhill? My question was specifically for the Carnhill ones.

Cheers

Ian

Warpie was asking for Carnhill probably to know if they were made to the same specs as the old Marinair.
CJ only unwound Marinair transformers not Carnhill (new production)

Last edited:
By "neve transformers" you mean Marinair or Carnhill? My question was specifically for the Carnhill ones.
Neve transformers were made by Marinair and St Ives Windings. St Ives was bought by Carnhill and the same production line still makes the Neve transformers; they just have different numbers now.

Cheers

Ian

Back