• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB ChiNeve output transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neve transformers were made by Marinair and St Ives Windings. St Ives was bought by Carnhill and the same production line still makes the Neve transformers; they just have different numbers now.

Hi Ian, there's some doubt between DIYers that the present Carnhill transformers are made exactly the same as the vintage St Ives and Marinair.
Actually in the case of output transformers like the LO1166, St Ives never produced those, St Ives only produced the input transformers.
Output transformers were made by Marinair and 1 other company (in smaller quantities) that I don't know the name.

I remember reading someone saying that the first years of Carnhill VTB1148 production (LO1166), didn't have a reverse wound primary, and had a simpler winding structure than the original LO1166.
read some reports also that maybe Carnhill changed that over the years and started winding closer to the original specs.
I don't know whats true or not, maybe just rumours, but I understand that without proof people will have some doubts if Carnhill transformers are wound in the same way or not as the original transformers they try to replicate

some words from Geoff Tanner:
" As for the output transformer, Neve never asked St Ives to make the LO1166 (which is why their initial copies were so wrong... they didn't have access to the original EM10*** specifications). Another UK transformer company made the LO1166, along with Marinair, but you'll notice that, other than the type number, the LO1166's seldom carried a manufacturer's sticker... that's because the other manufacturer didn't use them.

St Ives did not make the LO1166 or the LO2567, they did not make the LO1173 (fitted to the compressors) and they didn't make the TO129 tertiary feedback transformer used in 3415's, 31105's, 3114's, etc."

Last edited:
You are completely correct, there a lot of conflicting stories out there. I will check with my more knowledgeable Neve colleages who should have records of who made what.

Cheers

Ian

You are completely correct, there a lot of conflicting stories out there. I will check with my more knowledgeable Neve colleages who should have records of who made what.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, Geoff Tanner is 100% correct in that St Ives never produced the Neve output transformers LO1166 or the LO2567.
That info is pretty well known.

What we don't know is if Carnhill, the new company that makes those transformers in the present, makes them exactly like the originals or not...
Maybe some of your Neve colleagues have some info on the present carnhill production when compared to the original transformers,
that would be great

Thank you so much

Back