WTF is wrong with people

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I took a trip down to my local civic amienity site yesterday just to drop off a few empty bottles and some electronic odds and ends , When I looked in the metal basket with the electronic waste there were two Dyson handheld vaccum cleaners , one in almost new condition the other a bit more used . They still even had power in the battery , but little or no suction. These things retail at around 500 euros a piece , so I decided to take them home for a closer look . I gave a good cleaning out to the filters and internal chambers with compressed air , put a charge on the batteries and low and behold Im now the proud owner of two fine fully functional cordless vaccum cleaners with all the attachments . This new lamps for old craic is landing the human race up shit creek without a paddle , WTF is wrong with people nowadays , dumping perfectly good stuff without even at least having someone take a look first , internet/marketing and the need to have the latest and greatest new thing has made us more wasteful than ever before and its worse its getting ,not better . Thanks to Thundberg a bunch of petulant pukes are now on a mission to save the planet by letting air out of the tires of SUV's and jeeps
https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/suv-tyres-6094690-Jun2023/

Financial education is No teaching class in school. Think about why and WHO makes Advantages of dumb and illiterate consumers. I never buy Couches new, they are worth nothing the Second day. Try to sell and you will experience it. In every thrift Store those furniture can be have cheap.

Financial education is No teaching class in school. Think about why and WHO makes Advantages of dumb and illiterate consumers. I never buy Couches new, they are worth nothing the Second day. Try to sell and you will experience it. In every thrift Store those furniture can be have cheap.
When I was in public school we still had Home Economics class, wood shop, and other practical courses along with literature, history, math, etc. I took both Home Ec and Wood Shop. Home Ec was mostly girls which was good (eink, wink). We learned to sew, cook, and manage a household budget. I still have my 7th grade wood shop project here in my living room. All boys in that class. I doubt either of those are still in the curriculum today.

Middle school, as in before high school? I’m not all that surprised. I’d imagine there are replacements of some sort? Might want to check the high school it dumps into.
7th grade was wood shop, 8th was home ec. My HS used to have an attached vocational school that had courses in everything from secretarial work (typing, filing, word processing) to construction (carpentry, roofing, plumbing, electrical, concrete) to welding, machine shop, auto repair, etc. Lots of my classmates got out of HS with enough skills to start a career, or went on to tech schools to advance further before going to work. In their infinite wisdom, the district shut it down 15-20 years ago. Stupid.

Critical thinking would be nice. Macroeconomics and finance as well as practical economics. And practical psychology, e.g. how to practise metacognition or what is a personal boundary and how you defend it against useless and destructive thinking patterns (like trying to relitigate the past) or other people trying to intrude on it.

Ideally parents would teach these things, but most are not really up to the task.

Actually, I checked. The middle school I attended no longer has a wood shop or home economics.
I believe Thomas Sowell made precisely this observation.

People are no longer learning practical things during their basic education. Latin, Greek, and even Music are no longer part of the curricula because they are considered useless subjects, only to be replaced with what? They are definitely not learning more math or physics, I can attest to that, each generation is more illiterate than the one before. So what exactly are they teaching?

People are no longer learning practical things during their basic education. Latin, Greek, and even Music are no longer part of the curricula because they are considered useless subjects, only to be replaced with what? They are definitely not learning more math or physics, I can attest to that, each generation is more illiterate than the one before.
A troubling trend, indeed.

So what exactly are they teaching?
How to be a victim. How to be an ally to other victims. How to view the world through the lens of oppression. That all bad things are the fault of others (boomers, whites, America, and other deplorables). That climate change will ruin the future in [4, 8, 12, 17] years. That Marxism is great "if we'd just do it right" and that capitalism has ruined the world.

7th grade was wood shop, 8th was home ec. My HS used to have an attached vocational school that had courses in everything from secretarial work (typing, filing, word processing) to construction (carpentry, roofing, plumbing, electrical, concrete) to welding, machine shop, auto repair, etc. Lots of my classmates got out of HS with enough skills to start a career, or went on to tech schools to advance further before going to work. In their infinite wisdom, the district shut it down 15-20 years ago. Stupid.
I've shared this before, but I had metal shop class my senior year of HS. I signed up for Metal Shop to get access to equipment. I just spent my summer vacation between junior/senior year working 40 hour weeks in a real machine shop. I had a few tense moments with the shop teacher when he tried to get me on the standard curriculum, but we reached an understanding when I was able to convince him about my experience working with shop equipment.
Critical thinking would be nice. Macroeconomics and finance as well as practical economics. And practical psychology, e.g. how to practise metacognition or what is a personal boundary and how you defend it against useless and destructive thinking patterns (like trying to relitigate the past) or other people trying to intrude on it.
and Civics? One new idea is that students should be able to pass the citizenship test that immigrants do to gain citizenship.
Ideally parents would teach these things, but most are not really up to the task.
indeed...
I am reading one of his popular economics books right now. Smart fellow.
People are no longer learning practical things during their basic education. Latin, Greek, and even Music are no longer part of the curricula because they are considered useless subjects, only to be replaced with what? They are definitely not learning more math or physics, I can attest to that, each generation is more illiterate than the one before. So what exactly are they teaching?
I took two years of Latin in HS and that is useful. Sadly you don't want to see what they are teaching these days.. :rolleyes: . The educators have been reprogrammed to push progressive agendas. When COVID caused all the ZOOM lessons at home, parents were shocked to see the curriculum, quite by accident. :rolleyes:

JR

How to be a victim. How to be an ally to other victims. How to view the world through the lens of oppression. That all bad things are the fault of others (boomers, whites, America, and other deplorables). That climate change will ruin the future in [4, 8, 12, 17] years.
It is funny (not really) that this seems to be across the globe, in one or other variants, but the same rhetoric is being pushed.
That Marxism is great "if we'd just do it right" and that capitalism has ruined the world.
I listened to a talk the other day in which the speaker said that we are now living under "soft communism", yeap, I think that's spot on.

I took two years of Latin in HS and that is useful. Sadly you don't want to see what they are teaching these days.. :rolleyes: . The educators have been reprogrammed to push progressive agendas. When COVID caused all the ZOOM lessons at home, parents were shocked to see the curriculum, quite by accident. :rolleyes:

JR
Sad indeed. Colleges are the worst. Not even STEM fields, which used to be considered as a safe haven from all the BS, are safe from it; arguably much less, but still. STEM students now have to go thorough subjects such as "Critical [insert scandalous word] theory" or others similar subjects designed to virtue signal to them and let them know how bad they are and how shameful they should feel for just existing.

And to think @boji was so worried about GroupDIY becoming another liberal echo chamber.
lol :ROFLMAO: no recruiting on this end!

Well-argued counters sometimes still come around...but I still wish we didn't treat our dialectics like prize fighting dogs sent into a ring.
Your switch to satire has made me...slightly nostalgic :whistle:

Last edited:
Already going down the political talking-points path?
It's a valid observation whether you agree or not. I know what was taught in the 50s-60s from extensive conversations with my parents. I personally experienced public schooling 70s-80s. I worked with plenty of people who were from younger generations in my 29 year career. I have friends and family with kids in school. The differences (and failings) are apparent.

Latest posts

Back