Yamaha 01V96

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive fixed quite a few buzzing transformers over the years ,
I use a small paint brush to place drops of varnish between the core and bobbin ,9/10 times thats enough , once or twice I dipped the entire transformer in varnish but thats bigger job .

Ive fixed quite a few buzzing transformers over the years ,
I use a small paint brush to place drops of varnish between the core and bobbin ,9/10 times thats enough , once or twice I dipped the entire transformer in varnish but thats bigger job .
I’ve done this too when it’s easy to get the transformer out - I overthin the varnish with white spirits so it flows and softens the old varnish as well - I use this rather than turps as it doesn’t stink. Sometimes it’s the windings that can hum too, so it’s worth giving the whole thing a flow with a full paintbrush but for the windings you need to remove the outer tape and replace it after.

Last edited:
I would suggest you run the tests associated with those areas. Page 60 onwards of the service manual will give you all the info. Test 2 DSP and DRAM, test 8 DIO, test 9 WordClock would be the first I’d do
My apologies here - the 01V96 manual p90 tests 4,5,11,12,13 - was looking at the original 01V manual by mistake.

Hi Scott,
thank you so much for digging that record out, it's really nice from you.
That record was done already in 2020, have done many works since that I loved but that record has some special meaning because it was nominated for Best Engineering in the 2021 Latin Grammy's (awards music recorded in Portuguese or Spanish languages).
We were for sure not expecting it, but personally just the nomination was something really special to me personally and I felt honored. Humbly I don't think I will ever get another nomination again, so just enjoyed the moment and tried to get more work to make a living.

Unfortunately you got the wrong link, here is the link with the complete song on that record.

Thanks so much for the good memory mate

Last edited:
It's all about the music. For some of John Coletrain's blessed moments he was playing a borrowed horn, sometimes even a plastic sax.
Buzzing transformer? Unless it has been on the road a lot I would go straight for ReCap as mentioned earlier. You can actually check AC current draw to measure how close it is to spec. I would expect it to be on the higher side. 20+ years old semi-pro audio equipment? no brainer. All PSU and any de-coupling caps down the line.

Mike

Im stunned to silence Whoops ,
Even with a quick audition over youtube/pc speakers its sounds amazing ,
the production and musicianship is of the highest caliber .

Im stunned to silence Whoops ,
Even with a quick audition over youtube/pc speakers its sounds amazing ,
the production and musicianship is of the highest caliber .

Im happy you like it, artist and musicians are all really good. I was just the Mastering Engineer on this one and was fortunate to already receive very good songs and good mixes, they’ve done a great job. In the end everyone was really happy with the final record.
Thanks

Hi Scott,
thank you so much for digging that record out, it's really nice from you.

I like the up front, I-am-there-myself aspect. So many records sound like a processed recording, but this one sounds like I am really there and my ears are the microphone. No processing. No help from electronics. Sweet and very real. And that is just MY take ... James - K8JHR

Agreed the ear doesnt detect processing in the recording ,
but that doesnt mean its not there and used well .
We dont know the details , but its probably a very high end analog chain at the input with minimal digital processing .
The smooth decay of the cymbals is very apparent ,good miking technique plays a huge role here , mostly something you find on Jazz recordings , almost entirely lost in rock and pop music .

Latest posts

Back